Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddle tail has issues...

aaustin15

Reaction score
So my newt who i thought i was a female for the past two months is apparently now a guy... his/her vent is swollen and theres those little papillae sticking out around it but there are no spots on his tail.
whats weird is that his color is also getting paler on his sides. his appetite is VERY good and the water quality is good too... is there something else that could be making his color paler?

I'm such a neurotic newt owner that i post whenever any little thing happens, i apologize :(

Ghost1

Banned
Reaction score
He's in breeding condition. That explains the pale marks.

AngieD

Reaction score
It sometimes happens when the tank water changes temperature - my male was hassling the female after a warm spell (although it's usually the warm-up after a cold spell that brings it on).

My male has had the papillae without the spots in the past, and he was just as pesky as when he does get spots. I hope that makes sense.

Do you have just 1 paddletail, or more? If you have more than 1, I would recommend keeping a VERY close eye on them, as fighting is common when 1 is in breeding condition

aaustin15

Reaction score
okay thank you! i had to keep him at a vet's office last weekend and maybe his temp was colder there, I'm not sure.
and i just have him. thanks for all your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!