The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 28th September 2012   #1
Dinky!
(NeekaLovesYou)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 28
Comments: 3
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information
Question Tiger Salamander hates me!

Weird subject, I know!

I've had 2 female barred tigers for a couple of months now, both perfectly happy, healthy and eating very well.

The first, Faine, to my surprise is possibly over friendly, poking her head out whenever I so much as walk past, coming right up to me. A very friendly girl.

Then there's the second, Fawn, who is not very fond of me at all! I go up to the tank, she bolts, go to change their water, she's gone in a second. The only time she will come anywhere near me is when she knows she's getting fed.

It has, in a way, worried me as when I first brought the pair home it was the other way round. Faine was very shy and introverted while Fawn was very ballsy, coming up to everyone - even trying to climb over the sides of my "transit tank". (Big tank I use for transporting beasties)

I've read many a time that tiger sals are quite shy so is she just living upto their reputation? Is Faine the odd one for being so friendly? I was also concerned that something could have frightened her, could that cause such behavior?

Thankyou!

Old 28th September 2012   #2
grius
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 7
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Tiger Salamander hates me!

Tigers shy, I have moslty read and heard the opposite. I have 2 large females and 4 juvs, all fearless and totally crazy. They will jump at me, bite me when changing water and just being a pain in the *** when I have to clean their tank or change water. But of course their individuals, but there is absolutly nothing wrong with your "friendly" tiger, that is a pretty common behaviour for tigers what I know.

Last edited by grius; 28th September 2012 at 23:27.
grius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012   #3
Dinky!
(NeekaLovesYou)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: NeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and informationNeekaLovesYou has given consistently good advice and information

Ah that's good to hear! Could it be she just needs some more time getting used to her new(ish) surroundings? Mine are both around 2 years old and like I said, she's perfectly healthy as far as I'm concerned.

Old 28th September 2012   #4
grius
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes that could be the reason, or that she just is a little more shy tiger. My one female was the more shy one the first year, but now 2 years later even she is out out day and night begging for food, and are also the more "aggresive" one trying to bite me every time she get the chance. Just let her be shy and don't worrie about that, she may and will probably become bolder with time as with mine.

Old 28th September 2012   #5
Dinky!
(NeekaLovesYou)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Aww, that's great to hear. I don't mind that she's shy, I was more worried that she was poorly so thanks for all your advice!

Old 29th September 2012   #6
grius
Prolific Member

Nationality:

No probleme. Good luck with them!

Old 29th September 2012   #7
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I agree. As long as she's eating okay, it's nothing to worry about. I've got a shy feller too.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote