Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails and slugs

lpf78

Reaction score
hello

nice video ..

I wanted your advice and others such as snails (organic farming) are for you the most suitable for terrestrial salamanders?

-Helix aspersa
-Helix pomatia
-Eobania vermiculata
-Theobana

I hope in your answers and advice

thanks

lpf78

Reaction score
thanks for the reply

I buy them from an organic farm, what do you think of the risks of the mucosa or parasites etc. ..

the shell you break and you take it all?

thanks again

Niels D

Reaction score
There's a risk, but a lot of parasites infecting snails are harmless when it comes to salamanders. Not all of course. Wonder if that risk is eliminated when you get your snails from an organic farm. Eating the snail itself is something salamanders do in the wild as well, so I don't think there's a risk that the animal will harm itself. Just to be sure I only pick little ones which haven't got a hard shell.

lpf78

Reaction score
thanks for the info, I am always in search of variability in the diet of my salamanders ...

maybe someone else who has had other experience positive and negative, and passes this post can tell me his opinion.

in the meantime, thanks again

JoshBA

Reaction score
Great videos! I'll definately have to try feeding snails some time. During the spring and summer we have an over abundance of snails (actually think its an invasive species from Europe). I happen to live on an organic ranch which eliminates any chance of pesticide/fertilizer contamination. Unfortunately I'll have to wait another 5 months for winter to be over...

lpf78

Reaction score
nice video, although a bit discouraged me .....

I thought to integrate the basic diet consists of:
- Crickets (with calcium)
earthworm-
- (Achroea Grisella) (very very rarely)
with
-Hermetia illucens
-Tebo (Chilecomadia moorei) (not often)
Helix aspersa-lives (from organic farming, bleed, and human food, size small / medium)

What do you think those who have had experiences with quetsi food?

thanks

ntny

Reaction score
hello folks
i am feeding primary earthworms
i don't trust mealworms and i hate and avoid crickets:eek:
but i wanted to try out slugs, some slugs and small snails available for me below
Helicarion perfragilis
Parmarion martensi
Laevicaulis alte
Subulina octona
are these safe as feeder food?
how do you breed Slugs?
thanks

The weather has been bad here. It has been raining cats and dogs. One upside though, I've found a huge amount of worms, snails and slugs yesterday. Slugs are easy to feed, but I have to crack the shell of the snails most of the time. Not all the time though:
Salamandra i. infraimmaculata having a snail - YouTube

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!