The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 14th January 2006   #1
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi all, i have found these little white worms on the glass of my tank. they are very tiny but there are A LOT of them. how should i get rid of them and are they a danger to my axies health?.

Old 14th January 2006   #2
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ok thanks jinny, got any idea on how to get rid of them?.

Old 14th January 2006   #3
jinny

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What kind of food are you using? They usually occur with leftover food. With axies, not feeding for 2 or 3 days is not a problem. If you've got substrate, vacuum it, do 30% water changes for a few days. Some people recommend salting. Someone else on applesnail mentioned high heat, but that's obviously not a choice if the axie's in there.

Old 14th January 2006   #4
jojo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

heya Alex,
im not a huge expert on worms but my guess is also planaria. Ive had them a few times and they are a b*tch to get rid of, coz there are so many of them. I did complete 100% water change (keeping my axies in an established tank i have on standby) to completely get rid of ALL of them!

They wont do anything to your axies health, but they arent pretty to look at, them give me goose bumps - i hate them!! I swapped my axies staple (after joining this site i changed from beef heart to earth worms) and i havent seen them since.
I was told by a mate of mine (hes knows a whole lot about all kinds of fish, mostly tropical) that if droppings arent removed, it results in these type of worms, especially is the food being given is some form on red meat. Im not sure how right he was, but so far ive had none after swapping to worms and regularly removing any droppings i can see.

Old 14th January 2006   #5
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i usually feed them pellets but last night i fed them bloodworms, i cleaned all the leftovers. will they affect water conditions?. what do they feed on.

Old 14th January 2006   #6
jinny

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't know that they'll affect water conditions, but they can be an indicator of overfeeding since they will multiply with the leftover food.

What kind of pellets? Some commercial fish foods (from the pet store) are actually sources of planaria.

Old 14th January 2006   #7
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They won't affect your water quality, as long as you keep the substrate clean and the water changes regular. But I totally agree with Jinny. Planaria feed on leftover food.

However, they may not be planaria at all. Planaria are pretty obvious: about 1cm long, wide, two eyespots, white or brown.

You could (and should!) have any number of microorganisms in your tank. It's normal to have 'bugs' crawling around inside your tank. For the longest time I had these small white thread-like worms on the glass of my tank, but they appeared to be eating algae, so I didn't bother them. They eventually went away. I've also had glassworms in my tank, which are clear-ish, and are gnat larvae. If you get a sample of a well-established tank and look at it under a microscope, it's swarming with stuff.

Old 14th January 2006   #8
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ok i dont think its planaria, they're not one cm. they look very tiny and just stay on the glass. i notice that they're all on the glass closest to the filter. i cannot see any eyes or anything just little white worms. probably is microorganisms.

Old 15th January 2006   #9
jinny

Gallery Images:
Comments:

planaria come in all shapes and sizes. They can retract to small specs, be split and survive.

(Message edited by j4782 on January 15, 2006)

Old 15th January 2006   #10
jojo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

alex,
heres a link to a previous post regarding planaria.
It may help you (if these worms are planaria).

http://www.caudata.org/forum/message...tml?1137184446

Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by jojo_is_here on January 15, 2006)

Old 15th January 2006   #11
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ok thank you. i think i will just leave them there they seem to be fine. i think they eat algae but im not sure. btw i do not over feed my axies.

Old 15th January 2006   #12
jojo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nps.

I dont over feed my axies either, and i got the worms - hundreds of the little things.

Old 15th January 2006   #13
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i think they eat algae because i dont see them on the sand looking for leftovers they just stay close to the filter, i think they stay close to the filter for oxygen.

Old 15th January 2006   #14
jinny

Gallery Images:
Comments:

well, planaria can feed an all kinds of gunk. probably if they could, they'd get into the filter and have a feast!

Old 15th January 2006   #15
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

lol yea. oh well ill just leave them to it and if it becomes a bigger problem ill do a complete tank clean.

Old 15th January 2006   #16
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

large amounts of planaria in the tank are indicative of large amounts of organic material available as a food source. This can come from two different sources, overfeeding and/or insufficient water changes. Both bloodworms and pellets can leave a lot of particulates in the water which can then feeds a biofilm which then feeds the planaria. Whenever you feed bloodworms, thaw them in a cup and pour off the liquid before you feed out the bloodworms as this can be a major source of nutrients in the tank.
What are your nitrate levels?

Ed

Old 15th January 2006   #17
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

http://ebiomedia.com/gall/classics/Plan/plan_about.html These are planaria. It's quite easy to discern them from other little critters in the tank due to their size and distinctive body. If you have little thread-like worms feeding on algae, they're not planaria.

(Message edited by Joan on January 15, 2006)

Old 15th January 2006   #18
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

small slow moving flat worms that stay stuck to the glass and substrates are planaria (which may no longer be a correct name for them). If they are very thread like and are willing to suspend themselves into the water colume by thrashing themselves then these are a harmless detrivore nematode.

If you do a search on any of the aquarium forums on planaria or even small white worms, you can pull up a lot of information on them. Regardless of that, the appearence of these worms is always linked to an excess of organics for them to feed on.

Ed

Old 15th January 2006   #19
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

they do not look like the worms in the link you gave me joan. im pretty sure they're not planaria. its really weird coz i never have left overs and always clean out any poops my axies do. i think it was from the bloodworms.

Old 15th January 2006   #20
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The white flatworms that are referred to as planaria in the aquaria are very small. In fact there are species of planaria that do not get larger than 3 mm in total length and can be smaller depending on the amount of food offered.
They do indicate excess organic in the aquaria. Large food particle are not the only way that can result from overfeeding, small food particulates can be as problematic as large food particles.
I will ask again, what are your nitrate levels?
Keep in mind, that if you do a complete tank cleaning, then you will also need to recylce your tank.

Ed

Tags
white, worms

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3 (Set)

2inkaha, ax, xtinana