The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 23rd October 2010   #1
Truffs

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Truffs has started on the right path
Default Adult axie tail end floating

Hi, my 2 axies are roughly 2 years old now, the biggest is about 10inches long and has always been happy and healthy until today - this morning i noticed she just doesnt look right - she's still active and ate well yesterday but today her tail and bum are raised in the water - not soo much that her back legs are off the ground but noticeably higher than how she normally is.

She also seems to have a little 'fluff' developing on one gill.

Water levels are all normal, temperature is 16deg, they are on sand and have a fluval filter and air stone running constantly. I have today done a partial water change but was just wondering whether i should try fridging or salt baths or whether to just monitor her for a day or two first in case the floating tail is just trapped wind or constipation as if it is i dont want to fridge her and slow down her passing it?

Any suggestions would be great thanks

Truffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010   #2
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Adult axie tail end floating

The raised tail is mostly a sign of blockage inside. Now I read that you have sand an not gravel. Is there anything in the tank that's big enough for them to eat? What do you feed them? (Maybe it's something that's hard to digest... like mealworms)
I think putting him in the fridge will help him to 'poop' it out if there's something stuck in there.

About the fluffy thing. It sounds like fungus. If it is then a salt bath is a good idea.
Do you have a picture of it (and the raised tail thing) just to make sure before giving him a salt bath.

Old 24th October 2010   #3
Truffs

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Truffs has started on the right path
Default Re: Adult axie tail end floating

Hi, thanks for your reply

I agree, i think the fluff is fungus, so she's had a salt bath today at room temperature and looks happy enough so far - it was only a tiny amount of 'fluff' but i wanted to catch it before it got worse.

She's a bit odd with her food, she's not overly keen on earthworms (i tried several different varieties, live, dead, boiled, soaked pretty much every way i could think of but she just seems to have got bored of them - my other axie still loves them tho!) so she eats soft pellets and boodworm with an occasional earthworm when she can be persuaded and raw king prawn as a treat.

Theres nothing small in the tank at all. Here's how it was (the jar in the corner is put in when feeding bloodworms)
Click the image to open in full size.

Today though i decided to strip the lot just in case so now it has a bare base, 3 hides, 1 filter and 1 airstone which are on low so not creating too much movement, the water parameters are all normal but i shall take a sample for testing at the petshop tomorrow just to double check.

She's quite a big axie (10inch nose to tail) but even though she hasnt eaten yesterday or today she still looks full. I've not been able to take a pic of her as since i put her back in the tank after her salt bath she's been in a hide and i dont want to distress her by disturbing her again just yet.

After her bath her tail seemed to be a bit lower but i've found no poop today. She still doesnt seem to be her normal self though, if that makes sense. I'll keep a close eye on her, if she's no better by tomorrow i'll call the vet and see what he can suggest if anything, i've not needed a vet until now so dont know how knowledgeable they are on axies.

Its a bit of a mystery, whatever it is came on suddenly, i just hope it goes away suddenly too!

Last edited by Truffs; 24th October 2010 at 18:44. Reason: to add a bit
Truffs is offline   Reply With Quote