The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 20th December 2010   #1
moinkable

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: moinkable is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cloudy Eye?

Hi,

The smaller of my chinese FBNs eyes seem to have clouded over. Not like a white, milky cloud...more like blue fog. It's both of the eyes, and he seems normal other than that. He's eating fine and when I'm looking at him in there and move my head back and forth he moves his head back and forth too, so I don't think he's blind. He's eating, and my water quality is normal, although i do have some driftwood that's leeching tannins (I do water changes often to keep it clear), and I've been noticing some cyclops proliferation in there lately. The other fbn is unaffected.

I'm inclined to think he's ok, but am a bit worried that it could be a sign of something worse to come?

Thanks wise caudata folks!

moinkable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010   #2
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Cloudy Eye?

It sounds like your newt is simply preparing for shedding its skin. Its perfectly normal, and you have nothing to worry about, it will disappear when he completes the shed.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010   #3
Heather Jewett
(jewett)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Moinkable,
the condition you described regarding your newts eye reminded me of a similar experience with one of my own Co's a few years ago. I posted about it here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...ffliction.html

Good luck treating your pet and I hope it recovers.
Heather

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011   #4
moinkable

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: moinkable is an unknown quantity at this point

Heather,

I looked at your thread before posting my own....the pictures of your newts eye don't look quite like Fenton's does.

Fenton has since shed at least once (that I saw anyways :) ) and his eyes are still cloudy...his tankmate Fig is still fine, big and fat and lazy as ever.

So, I guess since it's been a while I'm going to just assume that whatever he's got going on it's fine and not contagious, since he seems ok except the eye cloud and Fig's eyes are still clear.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

moinkable is offline   Reply With Quote