The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 2nd October 2013   #1
tekishi13

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tekishi13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bedding

I have 5 tiger salamanders 2 of them are babies I just fond them outside. Also they are in a different tank from the three oldest. I usually just buy moss from Petco but I moved to the country and there isn't a Petco out here. I was wondering is there something I can find outside to use. Winter is coming here in Minnesota so I won't be able to change there moss during the winter. Does anyone know what is best to use and what keeps for a long time?

tekishi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013   #2
Josh
(JoshBA)

Nationality:
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Beding

Ground coconut fiber or packaged top soil with no fertilizers or pesticides added are usually the best. At least 5in deep of soil is needed as they are a burrowing species. The moss you are using is unsuitable because its ph is too low. Using soil from outside can be risky because you really don't know what will be in it (chemicals, pesticides, parasites, etc). If you don't live near agriculture it could be okay ( although chytrid fungus from other amphibians is a big risk). You could order coconut fiber online (New England Herpetoculture has excellent prices). I also live out of town and that's what I usually do.

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013   #3
tekishi13

Nationality:

Do you know any other places that sell the soil, also thanks for telling me. I live less then a mile from farm land so I think dirt from outside is out of the question. Also one of my family members told me they treat their garden so I'm sure the chemicals are in the dirt.

Old 3rd October 2013   #4
Josh
(JoshBA)

Nationality:
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information

I would think any home improvement store/ garden store like lowes or home depot would carry packaged top soil. Stores like that may sell coconut fiber, but it would likely be the cheaper quality, which is high in salt. Just aim for topsoil (ideally organic) without any added plant nutrients, and not potting soil. Even if it is organic, the potting soil will always contain high amounts of nitrogen that are meant for growing plants, and would be harmful to salamanders in a terrestrial setup. Also avoid any soil that contains peat, which is too acidic for salamanders.

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013   #5
tekishi13

Nationality:
Default Re: Bedding

Thanks for the help friend