Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Ambystoma Maculatum(s)!

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
I just got two Abystoma Maculatum (Spotted Salamanders) at my local reptile show. Believe it or not this is the first time I’ve ever seen salamanders (with the exclusion of axolotls) for sale locally. I currently have them in a Bioactive10 gallon setup and I am hoping to breed them in the future! Is there any tips or tricks that help with keeping/breeding this species also how long do they usually live in captivity, I’ve heard some people say ten years and others say thirty-five.

Attachments

• 32BC8EDF-8C8A-4900-BC0A-21EC0D10E70C.jpg
    32BC8EDF-8C8A-4900-BC0A-21EC0D10E70C.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 800
  • 2AB65F2B-D533-4901-B626-B136E003C002.jpg
    2AB65F2B-D533-4901-B626-B136E003C002.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 3F735078-8B23-4134-9B99-A8F035FBF64E.jpg
    3F735078-8B23-4134-9B99-A8F035FBF64E.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 456

PDONTnAMBY

Reaction score
Congrats! Maculatum are great--wish I still had mine, but I think they're very happy at the nature center I donated them to. Yours look pretty young. Did the vendor say how old they were?

As for tips, I'd say either stick to foods that can live in their substrate like red wrigglers and pillbugs, or be very watchful to make sure that no finnickier foods escape them. Substrate quality is very important, and nightcrawlers (their favorite food in my experience) can foul quickly if not eaten. Apart from that, just make sure the enclosure is misted regularly, do occasional substrate changes, and keep the temps below 72ish, and your maculatum should be pretty hardy!

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
Congrats! Maculatum are great--wish I still had mine, but I think they're very happy at the nature center I donated them to. Yours look pretty young. Did the vendor say how old they were?

As for tips, I'd say either stick to foods that can live in their substrate like red wrigglers and pillbugs, or be very watchful to make sure that no finnickier foods escape them. Substrate quality is very important, and nightcrawlers (their favorite food in my experience) can foul quickly if not eaten. Apart from that, just make sure the enclosure is misted regularly, do occasional substrate changes, and keep the temps below 72ish, and your maculatum should be pretty hardy!

It has been a year since the both came onto land according to the breeder. Also I have them setup in a bio active setup, will that be enough to keep the soil clean? I have armadillidium s. and Canadian night crawlers both for cleanup crew will the salamanders way them all before they can clean up the tank

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
I have them in a Bioactive setup, will the clean up crew (armadillidium vulgare, lumbricus terrestris, and Collembola sp.) be enough to clean the soil?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!