Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What are these weird long things in with my daphnia

RobM

Reaction score
Ok, got my order of daphnia in today, and there appears to be other unknown creatures in with them. Can anyone tell me what they are? haha I assume they are from the same kind of family as daphnia, but I would like them identified.
I was planning on culturing the daphnia, so do not really know what to do with these other creatures, like whether they have the same requirements etc.
Any help much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC023701.jpg
    DSC023701.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 2,879
  • DSC023631.jpg
    DSC023631.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,292

RobM

Reaction score
Thank you Caleb.

Why the hell are they in there with them then?
I was watching them and wondering whether they were predatory, because they kind of move suddenly in various directions.

RobM

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas how to remove them? I have some small artemia sieves, but they dont even let half the daphnia through. Also even if I remove the glass worm I can see, what are the chances of there being smaller baby ones?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Turkey-baster them out. Do it as you see them. They don't breed in glassworm state, so eventually you'll get them all out. You'll also want to kill any adult midges you see.

caleb

Reaction score
Why the hell are they in there with them then?

Presumably the midges have bred in the water that the Daphnia are grown in. I've had glassworms, mayfly larvae and water boatmen (backswimmers) in the last few batches of Daphnia that I've bought.

Does anyone here have pictures or details of commercial Daphnia rearing facilities? It would be interesting to know how they're grown. I have read the Daphnia part of the FAO aquaculture manual:
6.1. Daphnia and Moina

Which is very handy if you ever wondered how large a waterbody you would need to produce a ton of Daphnia every week.

RobM

Reaction score
Turkey-baster them out. Do it as you see them. They don't breed in glassworm state, so eventually you'll get them all out. You'll also want to kill any adult midges you see.

Haha! Easier said than done! I just spent half an hour getting them out with a sieve, turkey baster and tweezers! only like 14 bags to go!

RobM

Reaction score
Finished finally! Found it easier with a smaller body of water, but I still feel like now I can pluck flies out of the air with a pair of tweezers.

Now what shall I do with them? I think they would be highly nutritious for newts because they contain a LOT of daphnia! but I doubt mine are quick enough to catch them!

Attachments

• DSC023791.jpg
    DSC023791.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 3,721
  • DSC023801.jpg
    DSC023801.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,540

RobM

Reaction score
Thanks Anthony.

I have fed them to my parents fish, went down a treat.
I am amazed to see that my daphnia has already multiplied! Lots of little dots swimming around!

Molch

Reaction score
I used to catch glass worms in a pond for my newts, but my newts were not very good at catching them - presumably because they couldn't see them. Those glass worms have found the perfect anti-predator strategy: be invisible.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet that most commercial-scale daphnia are grown outdoors, or maybe in greenhouses, so finding aquatic larvae isn't too surprising. But I also think that whoever sold them could have done a better job of sending you a less-contaminated product!

RobM

Reaction score
I would bet that most commercial-scale daphnia are grown outdoors, or maybe in greenhouses, so finding aquatic larvae isn't too surprising. But I also think that whoever sold them could have done a better job of sending you a less-contaminated product!

I have always imagined them in huge like indoor tanks the size of swimming pools! It would probably be warm and perfect for midges to thrive during the winter. (think maybe my dad has made me watch 'how stuff is made' too many times)

Yes the retailer, done a rubbish job, they were very obvious, there were as many glassworm as daphnia! When I rang them, they seemed to have no idea about it, the girl on the phone said she would check with her supervisor. 30 minutes later they rang me back and said they checked and all the bags they had left were full of them, so they agreed to send me some free bags next week.
Really though, it is the suppliers fault for shipping them to the retailer in the first place.

RobM

Reaction score
Thought my daphnia culture was crashing, but just found two more glassworms in with the daphnia!!!! :angry:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I received a delivery last week with glassworm and other beasties. Not impressed when the seller suggested it wasn't his problem :evil: He refused to refund me my money, but it seems he has been over ruled and I am receiving another delivery of a the complete order, which included water moss. I am looking forward to seeing if the daphnia arrives with out any more invaders.

RobM

Reaction score
Well I hope you receive this order Julia, because I was promised a new batch of daphnia by the company I ordered from, it should have turned up Friday, but guess, what? it didnt!

brillB07

Reaction score
this has been very interesting to read, as i am thinking of ordering some.

what if you dyed the water slightly that the glassworms are swimming in...would that stick to them as well? making it easier for newts to eat..idk iv never heard of glassworms till reading this but it sounds almost helpfull :rolleyes:

who have you guys been ordering from?

shella

Reaction score
This thread was an interesting read. Yep I know its an old thread but there is hardly anything on Glass worms in a daphnia culture. They came in with the Daphnia I have had a couple before in my cultures that I bought they were a pig to get out with a turkey baster. They seem to know from far away that something is near then they move like lightning it takes me about 35 minutes to catch just one AGGGGGHHHH. This time round they are everywhere and I have Daphnia and scuds in mini tanks and one 17L. These glass worms must think its an all you can eat buffet. There is one tip if you are using a turkey baster, get as close as you can but do not strike wait till they flee they will be stunned be ready then make your strike it will still take ages but if you time it just right you will get it. Hope this helps. Well back to the turkey baster

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,

I know glassworms eat daphnia but I've never suffered problems for my young larvae, either axolotls or Cynops or other species. I try not to have too much in my tanks but I don't try to get rid of them. Dragonflies and Dytic larvae concern me more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!