Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravel Question?

strider

Reaction score
I know that gravel is off limits but I was wondering if this would be ok?
Image here
Detailed picture here
They sell it in my local pet shop and the gravel probably isn't much bigger than a piece of rice.
I was wondering if that would be alright for an axolotl?
It seems like it'd be ok to me, but I've never owned an axolotl and I still don't own an axolotl so I just wanted to check with someone who actually has experience :lol:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Any gravel that's bigger than grains of sand is too big. This is especially true of pointy gravel, like that.

The point here is that gravel particles can get stuck in the gut and cause impaction, which is deadly. You want either a substrate that is small enough to pass through unhindered, or one too big to ingest (that is, larger than an adult axolotl's head).

strider

Reaction score
I'll admit the only reason I even considered this gravel was because I wanted something colourful for the tank haha... but sand it is then! Thanks for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!