Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick or not?

Gab2013

Reaction score
I just bought an Axolotl, second week. He/she looks to have a red coloration in the tail and I wonder why. I have change water and see that is clean and everything. I can't see that he/she has poo at all after the first time I get her/him. My first mistake was to put gravel by recommendation of the pet store. But now I change it for sand. Because the ammonia problem in the beginning changed the water every second day. Now I bought some floating plants to help water and the environment of mi Axolotl. But I still feel something is wrong because he/she seems hungry but he/she don't poo. I don't understand and I have some frustration. I read about putting the Axolotl in the refrigerator but I have never done that before with a living animal and feels extreme but I don't know what to do. If someone can help me I would appreciate!

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hey,

Can you tell us:
What temperature is the water?
What have you been feeding him/her?
What are your water parameters now? (Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite)
Any pictures? They might help

With the gravel it sounds like there might be a blockage, especially if they pet shop kept them on gravel too? I would also advise them next time you go in not to promote gravel for axolotls.

Hope someone can advise you.

Gab2013

Reaction score
I am including 2 pictures to give more than the description of my Axolotl. Just now I couldn't test my water because the pet store was closed and my test is finish. Tomorrow I have to buy again and see how is it.
I start giving my Axolotl bloodworms, krill, tubifex, mysis and lance fish all freeze, not live. I wanted to give earthworms but the pet store didn't supply that food at all so I have to go to another supplier and wait until this coming week.
I am going to tell the pet store not recommend the gravel to Axolotl. My Axolotl was supplied from another place because the pet store don't have Axolotl there. I don't know in which conditions the Axolotls grew up and if they have sand or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 234

Kerry M

Reaction score
Looks like the tail of one of my axies. Looks fine to me. If it isn't there may be something wrong with mine too! Lovely axie by the way, such lovely long gills.

SalamanderMommy

Reaction score
Hello there,

From what I can see the red in the tail looks okay. I have two large healthy axies and I have noticed this on their tails when they are about to feed. They are excited and the blood flushing through them causes their tails and gill fronds to become brighter. Hope this helps! Keep a close on on your beautiful baby for any other symptoms just in case. :ufo:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!