New axie owner!

Mudgey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mudgey
Hi, I was recently given some larvae from a friend. I have always been fascinated by axolotl and have wanted to keep some for quite a while now and had to take this opportunity!

I have my tank ready after reading all the info from this website and I have my babies!

I'm not looking to keep them all (I have 40 all together). I do have a lot of people who are interested in them so will be rehousing most of them.

Question I am asking is, how old do they need to be until they can be rehomed? And the ones I am keeping, can I transfer them to the main tank now as they are currently in small containers.

Many thanks in advance!

You can rehouse them at any age providing you have people willing to raise them properly with the correct food source etc... I found homes for mine when they were about 2 months onwards once they started eating live blackworms. Hatching baby brine shrimp is a big job and not everyone wants to do it. I used to buy a kilo of worms and distribute them to the new axie owners and sometimes people bought their own worms. You might enjoy raising 40, it is manageable, even if you house them in separate containers when they start becoming cannabilistic (1 month onwards). Housing them in their own containers will help ensure that their gills are nice and long. Enjoy your babies, it is such a fun and satisfying thing to do.

Thank you so much for you reply!

I was going to keep 4 behind for myself, as I seem to have 4 variants from what I can gather at their young age! Mine are around 1cm at the moment, they hatched 5 days ago apparently so it seems like they are on target!

I was given some banana worm, and some instructions on how to culture them properly, is this okay to be feeding the larvae?

I wish I could keep them all! But unfortunately I don't really have room for separate containers for each of them.

This is how they are kept at the moment, I'm guessing they won't be able to stay like that for too long!
I separated the lighter from the darker as I read because the lighter ones are so transparent the darker ones tend to nip them more so than that of the same pigment.

View attachment 27887

I would suggest keeping about twenty so that you can choose your favourite ones. Some are just stronger than others and have beautiful gills and you'll get to keep the ones you like.

I'll let you see what my lounge room looked like when I had 130 little ones living in their own containers:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360574703.703237.jpg

That was one side of the room! The issue was that it took four hours a day to clean out and refill the little containers. It was worth it as I have pretty axies with nice long gills. It is well worth the effort, although when you first contemplate this you will freak out like I did when I read this was recommended.

I'm happy to give you a hand if you ever want to chat about the little ones.

I seem to not be able to open your attachment. I'm on my phone so will look again on the computer, hopefully I'll have more luck.

I don't know about banana worms. I did try micro worms but found them harder to cultivate than the baby brine shrimp. Once you get the hang of hatching them you will be so happy to watch your babies' round orange tummies.

Hi! I'm just about managing with the banana worm, my husband is taking me later to get some live daphnia :)

I found homes for 6 today :( upsets me to see them go!

And I now have plenty of containers so will be transferring them all now as a few have just started to bud their front legs!
I'm quite unsure how old they are now, they are about 1.5cm in length.

And all my light coloureds have white eyes!

How are your little ones going?
I couldn't see the attachment but would love to see some pics if you can post some.
It is difficult saying good bye to them at first but it's great when they go to happy homes :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back