Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gills shrinking

gougeaway

Reaction score
Hi all!

My 10 year old axy's gills are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than they used to be. Attached is a photo from about 3 years ago and a few from a couple of weeks ago. We also noticed that he seems a bit bloated lately and his skin looks a little funny.

Is this normal? Any advice?

Attachments

• image2-2.JPG
    image2-2.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 417
  • image1-4.JPG
    image1-4.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 335

onyx2011

Reaction score
How are tank parameters? Could they be bad to the point where it's metamorphosing?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

emdalliance

Reaction score
Looks like it could be morphing to me, buggy eyes, gills significantly reducing, thicker legs and the "dorsal" fin has disappeared a lot. Please check your water quality. Some will morph regardless of water quality but I'm not being rude but your tank looks quite filthy so your water conditions can't be great. Test your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxolotlChris

Reaction score

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
I also agree, this looks like a possible early stage metamorphosis of an axolotl. I just recently experienced an axolotl morph with one of my juveniles.

It would help if we could see a full bodily picture as the tail and crest fin on the axolotls back can be a huge indication.

Please note that of your axolotl is struggling to swim in his tank you need to immediately remove him from the deep water and place him in a bucket or tub of shallow clean water so he doesn't drown.

Feel free to look at the photo album on my profile page about morphing axolotls, see if there are any similarities that you notice.

I am cruelty in the process of making a "what to do when your axolotl goes through metamorphosis " thread and will post it within the next few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!