Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus Kaiseri Care Questions.

Aesyir

Reaction score
Hello I have some questions about Kaiser newts (Neurergus kaiseri) I am very interested in breeding this species especially since they seem to be endangered but i'm kind of not
sure what I would do once I got them. I did read the caudata culture page and I noticed it said you can either keep them terrestrial or aquatic. I would highly prefer to keep them aquatic but would they still breed if I kept them aquatic year round and if so can I keep the temp 15-25°C (60-68°F) or would I need to change them temp depending on time of year or do I need to allow them to estivate on land? Would there be any harm if I tried both methods? Any help is appreciated thanks.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You can keep them aquatic all year around but they do like a terrestrial period (not essential). You do need to cycle them through the year or fridge them in the late autumn. There's no harm to trying both.

David Kurn

Reaction score
I’ve had them breed both ways but I had 1 bad year of bloating disease. I then switched to Terrestrial phase ( thinking this may resolve bloating ) from November thru January/ February with minimal cooling of upper 50’s to low 60’s. I still keep a land area when aquAtic and will often find some under bark slabs. However all food is in the water during this phase

salvoz

Reaction score
I've kept them aquatic year-round with no issues at all for several years. They also bred regularly without any cycling, besides ambient swings (e.g., ~74F avg in summer and 68F in winter). I initially started using a computer fan in winter to drop the winter temps to the low 60s then realized it wasn't necessary, at least in my case. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!