Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introductions

hermes

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just a quick question. I would like to introduce my 2 axies to each other. At the moment they are in the same tank but separated by a divider. The adult male (Hermes) is very very roughly 22cm, and the female(?), Athena (has no testes/swellings around the cloaca as of yet and is v. round!) is again v. v. v. roughly 16cm. I would like to introduce them together, but firstly would like to know how to go about this i.e. lift the divider slightly and then take away completely or just take away altogether. Plus whether it is the right time to do this. I have had Hermes for 2 years in October, but he was already 'adolescent' when I got him and Athena is a year this month and she was younger when I got her. I would either like to introduce them sometime this month or leave it until September sort of time, when I will need to do a big clean!

Let me know what you guys think,
Leanne

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would remove the divider and watch them as much as possible.. i.e at a time when you are going to be around most, make a point to look in on them as much as you can. If there are signs of aggression, missing gills etc it may be best to seperate them.

ziggypie

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a lot of experience with introductions. When my first axie was introduced to the second (after a year of her living on her own), there was some thrashing in the tank as she wasn't used to someone touching her/climbing on her/trying to nudge her around onto spermataphores [although that's a story for another time]. But, eventually she got used to her tank-mate and they started to get along just fine... a little too fine, for only a week after introductions I had eggs to clean up. Lots and lots of eggs. Subsequent axies didn't make a difference as they were all used to plopping all over each other.

As your axies are already in a divided tank together, I will skip the warning about quarantines and how essential it is to protect your pets from the horrors of some pet store care, but do know that axolotls can get quite frisky- especially when there are changes in the tank (new members, small temp flux, decoration changes, etc...). If you're willing to put in the time, however, pull out the divider and just keep an eye on them! And don't introduce if you are just going to feel bad later if you have to separate them again because of mating or other issues. Luckily I have a couple 55 gal tanks and have the room and resources for multiples :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!