Plant introductions

L

lorna

I've been recently looking into getting aquarium plants for my newts as I slowly edge into more extensive and "natural" aquaria set-ups. I have some experience with pond/aquarium submerged and floating species, and possibly too much with pothos and other similar plants that can survive being mostly submerged. I've read a lot about java moss here and have seen quite a few duckweed and other floaters in pictures, so I'm thinking that those will be first on my list.

My question is, however, how do you prepare the plants for introduction into an established tank? Meaning how do you "clean" them so they're safe for the newts besides a thorough rinse? Indoor stores that sell water plants don't worry me too much, but outdoor pond stores (which is commonly the only place I can find floaters) could be exposed to a number of things.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not as familiar with live plants as I should be... Any advice? Recommendations? Sites?

Hi, I am not sure about plants from the wild, but captive plants should just be rinsed off in hot water for a few seconds, sorry I can't help more, but good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back