Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Peltier Cooling?

SillyGrin

Reaction score
Working out the nitty gritty of my tank set up plan...
I have seen some videos of DIY peltier cooling systems, and I was wondering if anyone here had tried such a setup on an axie tank?
I plan to go with a 10 gallon tank at least to start.
https://youtu.be/6svEwVHDVdI Here's an example of the setup in question...
1) how much colder would this make a 10G tank?
2) Is the temp stable?

Ax A Little

Reaction score
The answers to your questions aren't straight forward, but since you live in Minnesota they can work for you. Pretty much, you will have to blaze your own trail. Keep in mind that if you go the DIY route, that you will either need to make or buy a controller.

There's not a straight forward answer for what you are going to need for a ten gallon tank. What works for someone else will be entirely different for you. Its not dependent on the size of the tank, but rather the energy going into the system vs the energy that the Peltier cooler(s) can remove.

The amount of energy going into the system is dependent on the ambient temperature of the location of the tank, the pump/filter, lighting, etc.

A HOB filter will add less energy to the system than a submersible pump/filter (assuming equal wattages). A sponge filter will add less energy than both (actually insignificant).

The Peltier chips are also not created equal. They come in different sizes and efficiencies (technological improvements).

And the stability of the temperature is dependent on the sensitivity of your controller.

SillyGrin

Reaction score
thank you so much for the info!
even if it is not a certainty, it still is good know! :D
when i get the tank prepped (before anything but bacteria grows inside) i'll test the temps with a sponge filter first. if they remain acceptable, i'll go that route. otherwise, ill try HOB w/ peltier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!