Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First post, Hi everyone!

BrujitaSalvaje

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post. 10 years ago, my brother and I caught a red eft. My mom has this awesome Vivarium and she had tried to house frogs but it didn't work out, so at the time it was just minnows in there. We put him in and he has been super happy ever since, my mom feeds him frozen brine shrimp now and frozen blood worms. He is great, we never named him until I had a daughter because when she learned to speak she was convinced he was a snake so his name is Snakey. The reason I am here, however, is because this past Sunday we were at one of our favorite little creeks and we saw this little newt (I think also an Eastern newt) in the water. It seemed like fate since my daughter has been asking for a pet and my Mom and I have been work on making a Vivarium for her to get a newt of her own. I was going to look for red eft because I have no clue how to deal with a larvae, but here we are with a beautiful little larvae. My daughter has decided she is a girl and has named her Baby ? My daughter is 4 so I just roll with it. I started trying to get an account here last night, to see if someone could help me figure out her age and how to feed her (she is not a fan of snakeys frozen foods) I was going to pop over to the bait shop around the corner and see if they have live blood worms or black worms.. anything else I should look for? Also can I post pics and someone can help me figure out her age? AND lastly, new development when I woke up this morning, she is laying on a rock. I have to admit, I touched her just to make sure she was okay... She is fine swam down into the water but got right back up on the rock and keeps going in the water and coming out, does this mean she is metamorphosizing (spelling?)

Thanks!

BrujitaSalvaje

Reaction score
OH ALSO forgot to mention, she is in a small tank by herself with some big rocks for hiding and a filter. It was supposed to be a bare bottom tank but since I have a four year old, there is a handful of sand from the creek bed where we found her.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of it? Yours and your mom's are still red and living terrestrially, or become green and living aquatically or what?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!