Feeding

G

gilles

Hi everyone;
I just joined this forum because I finally managed to get some Salamandra salamandra terrestris.
I "own" one which is around 12 cm since one month and half now, and I must say that I don't see it eating a lot. It is always hidden under moss, so it is quite hard to feed...(By the way I feed it waxmorms, crickets and flies).I would like to know if there is a trick to "trigger" hunger with these beautifull animals.I ask this question because I will receive some other terrestris this week, six freshly metamorphosed animals.I really hope I won't have problems to feed them ...I really don't want to lose them, it is now a long time I am seeking this species.
I think I will switch their terrariums to John's device with towel paper and some hidding place, may be this can help getting them a little more "tame", and then easier to feed.
Best regards;and sorry for the lack of vocabulary

Gilles S. (France)

Hi Gilles,

It's good to hear from you. To be honest, I don't really think there's a trick to feeding them. In my experience, if they're content with their conditions, they eat regularly and quite a lot. If it's too warm (over 20 <SUP>o</SUP>C) or otherwise stressful, they tend to stop eating.

I hope this helps.

Hi john;
good to hear from you too thanks ;)
As you must imagine I am really happy to receive these animals ;)
Unfortunatly it is quite warm out there, even if I do my best for keeping the room cool..It is not easy.I am quite afraid for my axolotls for example.
By the way, I have some new animals (Bombina maxima for example), If you would like to talk...
Best regards,

Gilles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back