Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Food choices

Sorrolyn

Reaction score
In the next few months I will be getting an axolotl. I have been doing a lot of research about what I need and at the moment I am looking up their food. Live worms and more specifically earthworms seem to be the best choice, freeze dried food doesn't seem to be as nutritional as live, and pellets are known to be somewhat fatty. I don't like the idea of chopping up live earthworms so they are out along with freeze dried since they aren't as good. Pellets seem to be what I am leaning towards with blood worms being secondary.

Looking at the ingredient percentages of pellets specifically for axolotl's from another website (Link):[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Protein 45%, Fat 18%, Fiber 5%, Calcium 1.5%, Phosphorus 1.1%, Ash 10%

Indiana University Axolotl Colony pellet nutrient information lists (Link):
Protein 44%; Fat 18%; Fiber 5%; Ash 8%

Hikari Tropical Sinking Carnivore Pellets has (Link):
Crude protein (min.) 47%, crude fat (min.) 5%, crude fiber (max.) 3%, moisture (max.) 10%, ash (max.) 17%

Do blood worms and the Hikari pellets seem like a good idea for the diet or should I stick to one or the other? I've read that a variety is good so I am thinking both. I'd like to have food that I can pick up locally so that is another reason why I am leaning towards those two food types since there are a Petco, Petsmart, and very nice Aquarium store near by.

blackdog

Reaction score
worms and axolotl pellets

Dont like cutting worms? I guess you've never changed a nappy then? :) There are ickier things out there than chopping a worm.

But dont cut 'em - if you have a worm farm you will get a mix of smaller and larger worms, i got my axies about 6 mths old, so pretty big, but i've never had need to chop up a worm for them

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!