Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Media

R

russ

Just on a funny note. I started a couple of new colonies the other day and I didn't bother using a measuring device for the yeast and sugar. I'm sure the yeast was about right, but I'm also sure that I put more sugar in than required, but I thought nothing of it. I added the starter flies after 24 hours and they were all dead within 12 hours. When I opened the containers for a closer look it smelled like a screwdriver (vodka/orange juice). So now I know either to follow the recipe exactly or add ice!!

E

edward

Hi Russ,
This is what can happen when the yeast gets really going. CO2 is heavier than air and there is usually a very slow rate of exchange with air outside of the container due to the lid resulting in suffocated flies. I have heard of people placing large cultures in small fairly airtight cages as a supplemental food source and gassing the animals living in the cage via the amount of CO2 produced.

Ian,
no you do not have to nuke the culture but if you do then you get less contaminents growing.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1