Advice on Betta Fish?

Jossie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I know that there are a number of forums and sites that are dedicated to this topic, but you guys seem to take very good care of your critters.
Plus I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, and many of you seem to keep Bettas as well as your newts, salamanders and/or axies.

My question is, what is good for filtration?
They seem to have similar likes to axies (little water movement), but I was wondering what experience people have had with filters in their Betta tanks.

I'm trying to fix some of the things I previously had done wrong (my guy was in an unheated tank -slaps wrist-), and it seems I might need a filter or airstone or something.
One of my reasons is that I have an algae infestation.
I have brown algae on his substrate, and green on the glass.
He's also been upgraded to a larger tank (It's a 25L tank)

i keep two betta's

one of which i dont use a filter on, i change the water every day or everyother depending on how busy i am, the other is in a 10 gallon aqurium with other tropical fish and i have a hang on filter. i dont think he likes it. i would recomend a spong filter beacuse of their large fins they get "blown" around by the current and it stress's them out. You can tell beacuse the patch just under the gills gets very light.

hope that helps, also get a snail or two to help with the algae

I used to keep a betta in my 72 (5 footish) gallon with an over the back filter and lots of plants. The tank had a slow side with an air stone and a fast side where the filter poured out. He and pregnant fish hung out on the slow side. Hiding in the heavy plants. While the other fish were on the other. He rarly ventured into the fast side.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hey Jossie,
I find with my Bettas, I have found sponge filters are perfect.
They don't provide a strong current, but are great at cleaning the tank!
Just give them a squeeze old water from the tank every few weeks, and you're good to go!

yes use sponge filters,they cause little to no current and when I breed my bettas I use that and it does'nt even suck the babies up and the babies are really small in case you didnt know and they don't seem to be harmed by the sponge filter whatsoever and a 5 or 10 gallon is a good size tank and dont use anything bigger then a 10 gallon since they will get tired swimming up and down to breath air since they have big fins that will tire them,thats why they can be kept in in small tanks without alot of oxygen and thats also why you dont need any sort of aireation(allthough it wouldnt hurt them lol) unless you are breeding them since thee babies dont have the labyrinth organ(the organ that helps them breath atmospheric oxygen similar to us and function like our lungs)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back