Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2010 Caudata.org Amphibian Ark Donations Drive (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
From February 8th (this coming Monday) to March 8th 2010 extended to March 22nd 2010 we are once again running our donations drive for Amphibian Ark. The money raised will become the 2010 Caudata.org Amphibian Research Grant to be administered by Amphibian Ark. All donors will be mentioned on the Amphibian Ark web site, as well as their affiliation to Caudata.org. The 2009 Caudata.org Grant funded a Conservation Assessment of the Mushroom-Tongued Pandi Salamander of Colombia and the research is still ongoing.

Information

• How to donate? From Monday February 8th until March 8th 2010 there is a "Donate" button at the following link: 2010 Donations Drive for Amphibian Ark. You will be donating directly to Amphibian Ark through Paypal and they will be notified that the donation was made as part of the 2010 Caudata.org Grant Fund.
  • How much did we raise last year? We raised over US$ 1200 in the last Caudata.org-Amphibian Ark Grant drive. Hopefully we can smash that total this year.
  • I hear that we get a special status on the forum? Yes. After you make your donation as part of the drive, copy and paste the receipt from Paypal into a private message to me. I will then give you the member status "2010 Research Grant Donor".
  • What kind of research will I be funding? The research projects that competed for last year's grant came from around the world and the titles were:
    • Distributional modelling and ecological research on Salamandra algira in Morocco with emphasis on different genetic lineages
    • Effect of magnetic nanoparticles on newt behavior - Notophthalmus viridescens
    • Conservation status and systematics of Chiropterotriton multidentatus (Caudata: Plethodontidae)
    • Is chytridiomycosis affecting Appalachian salamanders? - Appalachian salamanders
    • Habitat preferences of the Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) within its refugee’s canals
    • Pandi mushroom-tongue salamander Project: Conservation status assessment of a threatened Andean salamander from Colombia - Bolitoglossa pandi (The 2009 Research Grant Recipient)
    • Comparative landscape genetics of two amphibians endemic to the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt of Central Mexico - Mexico Ambystoma & Pseudoeurycea
    • Systematics of the Pseudoeurycea cephalica group
    • Conservation Genetics of Hellbender Salamanders in New York: the use of mtDNA for Population Structure and Diversity Estimates - Hellbender/Cryptobranchus alleganiensis
    • The Salamanders of the Valley de Sibundoy-Mocoa (Putumayo, Colombia) transect - Colombian Bolitoglossa
    • Continued Surveys for the Fungal Pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in Georgia Salamander Assemblages - Bd in Georgia, USA
    • Systematics and phylogeny of the species complex Bolitoglossa franklini / lincolni (Caudata: Plethodontidae)
    • Variation in Four-toed Salamander, Hemidactylium scutatum, Microhabitat Use Across Age Groups and Sexes
    • Population status, presence of Batrachochythridium dendrobatidis (Bd) and the effect of the Transoceanic highway of Bolitoglossa altamazonica in the Vilcabamba – Amboro corridor in Perú
    • Survey and assessment of aquatic salamander species in the French Creek Drainage of the Allegheny Basin - Hellbender/Cryptobranchus a. alleganiensis and Mudpuppy/Necturus maculosus
    • Captive propagation of Endangered Guatemalan Salamanders - Guatemalan Bolitoglossa
    • Survey of Chytrid fungus presence on the three species of salamanders in Peru - Bd in Peru

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 2010 Caudata.org Amphibian Ark Donations Drive

Kevin Zippel, director of Amphibian Ark, has asked me to remind you that anyone who donates $105 using our Donate button will not only be part of the 2010 Caudata.org Donations Drive, but will also receive this beautiful book about the frogs of Ecuador:

Sapos%20cover.jpg

Please be aware that in order for your donation to Amphibian Ark to be included in the 2010 Caudata.org Grant, you must donate using the donate button on caudata.org, not on Amphibian Ark's web site.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Current Donations Drive Total: US$ 25

Hummmmm - perhaps something is wrong with the totals being accumulated? On the second day of the drive, I donated more than that $ figure.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Hummmmm - perhaps something is wrong with the totals being accumulated? On the second day of the drive, I donated more than that $ figure.

I hear that we get a special status on the forum? Yes. After you make your donation as part of the drive, copy and paste the receipt from Paypal into a private message to me. I will then give you the member status "2010 Research Grant Donor".

It wounds me to admit it, but my powers do not extend to reading people's minds :).

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Ahhh, please do not feel wounded....not being able to read minds is quite typical among mortals :). I didn't want the recognition as a donor.....but did not realize that you, the big kahuna, would not have access to the donor list from caudata.org unless I copied the receipt and pm'd it to you. I did use the link to donate so that it would be recognized as part of the caudata.org grant donor drive. Hopefully for the drive.....others have found themselves in the same situation. Its the money for the grant not the recognition that counts. And as would be the case, I deleted the receipt after printing it for tax purposes.....and so it goes.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I agree with Jan, but hadn't realised that the receipt may be usefull.. will pm the receipt to you.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

You are donating to Amphibian Ark/CBSG, not caudata.org, so I have no idea who, when or how much until you let me know. So please tell me.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score

You are donating to Amphibian Ark/CBSG, not caudata.org, so I have no idea who, when or how much until you let me know. So please tell me.
Sent pm with $ figure.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score

Have to wait a few more days for my VA stipend to show up,me. The wife has informed me that exceeding my critter budget twofold three months in a row is hazardous to my health.:p

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

2010 Final Drive Total: $778

Thank you to everyone who donated. I will update you on the grant progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!