Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Started my cherry shrimp breeding tank today!

layna

Reaction score
I can not for the life of me, get my cherry shrimp to breed, after being told out of the 4 batches i bought there was defiantly a male in two of them, they wont make babies lol.
Its frustrating, but i dont know what else to do and at £10 for 3, i refuse to buy any more.
You should keep this thread updated on how your do and i may get some tips :D

Possum63

Reaction score
You are so lucky... I love cherry shrimp and wish I could have them!! Unfortunately you cant get them in NZ :(

layna

Reaction score
You are so lucky... I love cherry shrimp and wish I could have them!! Unfortunately you cant get them in NZ :(

Ahh that sucks they are pretty, but i now have £40 worth of them in a tank, refusing to breed :p

Oh and have i mentioned that my mum "looked into their little eyes" and decided they were cute and it was mean to feed them to the lottles. pfft.

conradryaan

Reaction score
I will keep you guys updated! I have done a lot
of research and talked to a few local breeders. maybe you can post a picture of your tank and maybe I can help. I would love for you to start breeding. p.s once you have enough your mom will never no you are feeding them to your lotls(;

elfelty

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I bought 8 cherry shrimp and put them in a pretty little (20 gallon) tank with some plants. They actually didn't breed though until I switched out the little waterfall filter with a big sponge filter and warmed up the water a bit. Now I have at least 200!! I've only put them in my smaller tank so far where one axie ignores them and one stalks them down to chomp away :) I like that they work on cleaning the filters and glass until they get eaten though!

layna

Reaction score
Haha im glad your having more luck! im still no further ahead with mine, they just sit there and look at me until i feed them *sigh*

Tephra

Reaction score
Ehm, I don't have a lot of experience with shrimp. I currently have amano shrimp in my tank, they're quick as hell, not as easily noticeable on the black sand as cherry shrimp would be, they keep the tank clean and so far none have been caught by the axies.

I got 6 shrimp from one store and 6 from another. The thing is, I just saw one of my shrimp like this:

blog_amano_6.jpg

It is one of the largest shrimp I have, and it appears that 'it' is a 'she' and is very likely carrying eggs. I couldn't take a clear picture of her, I tried to film her a bit, will upload that on YouTube later.

I thought breeding shrimp in a cold water aquarium was painstakingly difficult...? My aquarium is a constant 16°C :p

I don't mind them breeding though :p Plenty of algae to go around!

conradryaan

Reaction score
that website is full of helpful information, thanks for posting! it seems I was already on the same page as them haha. my shrimp would appear to be too young at this point(not even a full inch yet) so I am still waiting. some of the bigger ones in the tank have started to develop yellow patches which I hope are eggs forming inside them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1