Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bedding for white worms

kenya_1977

Reaction score
So, I've got 7 cultures going of 15X20X5 bins of white worms going. I've been using expanded coco fiber as bedding for it and feeding fortified fish food (wanting to gutload for my fish), and I get ok production, but not great response and it seems to foul out in a month with not that many worms in it. I've decided to go with the "Magic Worm Bedding" and see if that makes a difference. But, I'm wanting to keep nutrition high along with production and reduced maintenance. Any suggestions?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My white worm is kept on regular soil. It is quite damp, but not sodden and I add a thin layer of porridge. I cover this with perspex to keep moisture in and it also makes harvesting them nice and easy. When the porridge goes I replace it. Occasionally I add banana peel and mouldy carrot as the worms seem particularly fond of them. I have used newt pellets (my lot refused to eat them) but again just a few at at time as they do rot.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I've had poor results using coco fiber. Other kinds of soil are probably better, but you may want to sterilize it to prevent mites.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I've used coir /coco fibre also I feed mine with ready brek(porridge) with a slice of white bread on top harvest them at night with tweezers my cultures do get mite if kept too moist but springtails have managed to invade my cultures too which is a bonus really

caleb

Reaction score
My white worm is kept on regular soil. It is quite damp, but not sodden and I add a thin layer of porridge. I cover this with perspex to keep moisture in and it also makes harvesting them nice and easy. When the porridge goes I replace it.

This is pretty much exactly what I do, it works very well for me too. I've made a dry food mix from ready-break, dried yeast and limestone flour- I just sprinkle this on and spray with water to moisten it. The cultures take a couple of months to get going, but will last for years.

I find it's best to feed little but often- I feed them every day in the summer. I've attached a photo of one of them- this one consumes about a teaspoon of food a day. There are usually large masses of worms on the soil and the perspex- unfortunately most of them buried themselves while I was taking the photo.

Attachments

• DSCN9774.jpg
    DSCN9774.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 2,180

kenya_1977

Reaction score
Ok, I think my switching the bedding to Magic worm bedding will help me out a lot. They seem to have no problem with what I'm feeding them with exception of those that just don't seem to like the substrate after a while.

wargar

Reaction score
I keep mine in large white polly foam boxes that I get for free from the local aquatics shop (it's what he gets his stock in). I use regular soil, oats and dried yeast and keep it very moist almost water logged. I feed them dog biscuits sprinkled on top.

They breed so well I always have a surplus and I'm now selling smaller pots back to the aquatics shop.

Dave

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!