Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T marmoratus into semi aquatic set up.

morg

Reaction score
I have some Triturus marmoratus, cb 2007 that I have kept terrestrial since metamorphosising, that I was planning to put into a semi aquatic set up next spring.
However I sorted out the set up last week, and couldn't wait to put them into their new home.
As soon as I upgraded to the new set up, 3 went into the water within minutes, these three have stayed in the water, with the male starting to crest up.
This is the third time Ive had this happen, they dont seem to want to wait untill the spring, but come into breeding condition as soon as they are placed into a semi aquatic set up.
The quickest Ive had this happen is at just over one year old, but with those, although the males crested up and started tail fanning etc, the females werent ready to breed untill the following year.

morg

Reaction score
Love is in the air lol.
Male is now completely crested up, and is following around the largest female, tail fanning at every possible chance..
There must be something in the air here as breeding behaviour is also going on in my alpine newt tank.

stavroske

Reaction score
Is it possible that you're T. marmoratus come from North Portugal? The T. marmoratus from North Portugal get aquatic from November till May and take a terrestrial rest in the summer.

Kind regards,

Steven

merk199

Reaction score
Any pics of the setup? I have my juvies kept terrestrially right now just looking for semi aquatic ideas.

morg

Reaction score
Here are a few pics I took while setting it up. The land area is a shelf just above the water area. I always prefer this method, as the newts get a larger water area.
Land shelf id now covered with moss, hides etc.

Attachments

• DSCN3364.jpg
    DSCN3364.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 822
  • DSCN3365.jpg
    DSCN3365.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 825
  • DSCN3366.jpg
    DSCN3366.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 796

huug

Reaction score
Hey Morg,

Congrats on the early start of the breeding season!.
I kepted mine allso terrestrial and put them back in an aquatic setup beginning of oktober.
Males are still cresting up and tailfanning was only incidental.

I really do not expect them to lay this or next month!
So you are lucky!! :D

I can't wait for breeding season to start....if you have any luck left, than please share some with me:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1