Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do C. Orientalis Need a land area?

AeonMapa

Reaction score
I've been keeping my 5 newts for about 3 weeks now. I originally started the tank with 2 pieces of floating wood that 2 newts would spend nearly all their time on, and the others would visit on occasion. Eventually the wood got waterlogged and began to sink. I angled one so that it would stick out of the water, but it seemed only one newt would use this dry patch. Over the last week, she stopped using it completely and would sometimes just climb partly out of the water on some of my live plants that reached the surface. I've removed the wood since then.

Will the newts be alright in a nearly completely aquatic environment? There are still some plants that they can use to rest with about half of their bodies out of the water (though they havent done this for sometime). Or should I provide a floating island? (Cork bark and moss)

stanleyc

Reaction score
I've been keeping my 5 newts for about 3 weeks now. I originally started the tank with 2 pieces of floating wood that 2 newts would spend nearly all their time on, and the others would visit on occasion. Eventually the wood got waterlogged and began to sink. I angled one so that it would stick out of the water, but it seemed only one newt would use this dry patch. Over the last week, she stopped using it completely and would sometimes just climb partly out of the water on some of my live plants that reached the surface. I've removed the wood since then.

Will the newts be alright in a nearly completely aquatic environment? There are still some plants that they can use to rest with about half of their bodies out of the water (though they havent done this for sometime). Or should I provide a floating island? (Cork bark and moss)

Healthy adult H. orientalis when given suitable water conditions should be completely aquatic. But it has been advised to always keep a small land area for them to get out of the water. This could be just a small piece of drift wood like you have. My H. cyanurus climbed onto hers when she was suffering from what seemed to be a fungal infection after an injury by another newt. So this can be useful as indicator that something is wrong.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In hot climates it is particularly advisable to have some small land area, because when temps get high, they tend to get out for periods of time. A floating piece of cork bark is sufficient and since it doesn´t take up any water volume it is ideal.

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Hey Azhael, I do live in the philippines so the climate does get quite hot. I'll make them an island soon. Is cork board the same as cork bark? Is it suitable for use either way?

Also just to satisfy my scientific curiosity, why do they prefer to leave the water when the temperatures are warmer? I would've assumed they'd prefer to stay in the water in those situations :p

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my tank as it is currently set up. As you can see there are plants that break the surface. The light fixture generates a little heat, would a floating island get them too close to the bulb?

Once again thank you for all the help and advice!

Attachments

• 2013-08-12 13.10.36.jpg
    2013-08-12 13.10.36.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 312
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!