Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl suddenly floating/bloated?

Chazzy1294

Reaction score
Hi all

First time posting and seeking advice on my axolotl. I have had him for over a year and a half and have had no problems. I've doing everything possible by the book using this website and other recognised axolotl sites.

Yesterday my axolotl was floating upright and was struggling to sit on the bottom of the tank. When he got to the bottom, his back end was risen as if it was being pulled upright. Anyway last night/this morning he was floating on his side, as if one of his back legs was folded and he wasn't using it. After looking online here I decided to place him in a shallow water container in the fridge which is set to 8 degrees Celsius. Since then he is now floating upside down.

I have attached a photo of him, he appears slightly bloated? Not as much as others I have a seen. I am wondering if it is trapped food/air? Two days ago he had a chopped up prawn which he loves, but I wonder if it was too big and has become stuck. I know prawns are not a popular food amongst axolotl keepers, this was only a treat. The substrate I use is fine sand which he has never had a problem with. Also I have noticed there is a very dark area marked on his chest you can see in the photo which looks abnormal to me.

He normally is quite lively and loves playing in bubbles and is healthy in himself. Just worried about my little fella.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,465

Caesar

Reaction score
Hi all

First time posting and seeking advice on my axolotl. I have had him for over a year and a half and have had no problems. I've doing everything possible by the book using this website and other recognised axolotl sites.

Yesterday my axolotl was floating upright and was struggling to sit on the bottom of the tank. When he got to the bottom, his back end was risen as if it was being pulled upright. Anyway last night/this morning he was floating on his side, as if one of his back legs was folded and he wasn't using it. After looking online here I decided to place him in a shallow water container in the fridge which is set to 8 degrees Celsius. Since then he is now floating upside down.

I have attached a photo of him, he appears slightly bloated? Not as much as others I have a seen. I am wondering if it is trapped food/air? Two days ago he had a chopped up prawn which he loves, but I wonder if it was too big and has become stuck. I know prawns are not a popular food amongst axolotl keepers, this was only a treat. The substrate I use is fine sand which he has never had a problem with. Also I have noticed there is a very dark area marked on his chest you can see in the photo which looks abnormal to me.

He normally is quite lively and loves playing in bubbles and is healthy in himself. Just worried about my little fella.

Any help is much appreciated.
To me, it looks like he swallowed some air so big that it pushed his organs (the black part) up. I know my axolotl has dark parts on his stomach I think it is part of the anatomy. Liver, perhaps?
http://www.axolotl.org/images/physiology/Internal_Structure.jpg

Fridging helps to get rid of the swallowed bubbles in an axolotl.. Here is a thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

Hope he is okay!

Chazzy1294

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's been 1 week and 1 day since he has been in the fridge and I'm not seeing an improvement :(. Now he has a small white growth on his side with small hair like strands coming off it, but they are in the water now that I've changed his water and there is just a white spot on him now.

I'm completely lost! Do I keep him in the fridge? And for how much longer? Is it ok to leave him in the fridge this long?

Also his toes are turning dark, is this normal with fridging?

Poor little boy :(

P.s this isn't the tub I'm keeping him in the fridge with its just a holding tub while I change water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 803

auntiejude

Reaction score
Your axie has a bacterial infection - his belly is pink, he's floating upside-down and he is bloated. You need to see a vet and get some antibiotics for him.

Chazzy1294

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I did all I could for him but unfortunately he has now passed away and is in axie heaven.

RIP little buddy

(This was him when I got him 3 years ago)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 457
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!