Hello! I'm a new axolotl owner

JoesAxolotls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, everyone!
I'm new to owning axolotls, and I just discovered this site. It seems great!
I just got my first axolotl (a juvenile albino that the breeder believes to be a male) five days ago, and I figured I'd introduce myself and ask for some advice straight away so that I can take the best care of him possible.
He's very small, just about the size of my thumb. I keep him in a 20 gallon long tank with a sediment of natural fine freshwater sand, and with six water plants and a cave to hide in. His water is about 60-62 degrees (I have a thermometer in his tank) and his water is dechlorinated tap water, for which I have a filter with three filter sheets. The filter is set on the lowest setting so as not to disrupt the water and stress the axolotl. I feed him live blackworms with a pipette every other day. He seems to be enjoying himself so far, but any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you
(Also, how do I post pictures on mobile?)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I've never posted a pic from mobile but maybe someone will chime in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back