Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help, axolotls not eating

BrooklynD

Reaction score
You may yell at me, but I have two almost 5in axolotls in a 10 gallon, with daily water changes (it's not cycled) and yes I know it's small but so are they and they look so small compared to it lol. I do have a 20 gallon in fact it's right next to it but it's cycling. But the axies used to be in a smaller tank and I just upgraded them a day ago.

Their diet consisted of blood worms and night crawlers, usually they shared about one smaller night crawler cut up (along with their blood worms) and so they were doing okay with that everyday. Recently I ran out of bloodworms, but I noticed that they have been getting pretty fat from what I was giving them, so I decided to switch to every other day feedings with just night crawlers. so I gave them a couple pieces of worm the day after they got a full feeding and one axie took the couple pieces, and the other just wasn't interested so I figured she was just full. So then I feed them a whole meal, one axie isn't that hungry and then I don't feed them after that, and they do fine. (If that's confusing at all basically I just fed them one day, fed them a tiny bit the next, fed them one day, and then didn't feed at all the next, then fed them the day after that and switched to every other day feedings) Well that was all in the tank they were in, and now ever since I switched them to a 10 gallon tank, they've both stopped eating. It's been 2 days for one of them and 3 for the other of no eating. They did lose a little weight but not an unhealthy amount.

But I wanna take charge of this before they get too skinny. They just take the piece of worm and then spit it out. Or one of them dose that, the other just won't eat it. Any ideas on why they aren't eating? I figured maybe their just adjusting but I don't think it would really cause them to stop eating for a couple days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

BrooklynD

Reaction score
Sorry don't know how to attach multiple pictures yet; but this is axolotl #2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 245

debadog

Reaction score
回复: Please help, axolotls not eating

They both look okay to me. Maybe check the water parameters to be sure (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 20-40ppm nitrate is optimal) but I think its a little too early to be really worried. Axolotls can go a long time without eating with no issues. If they still aren't eating in a couple of days then I would start to investigate further. It might just be that they are being fussy or they are full.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!