Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axi with large white patches with red borders

Mariana

Reaction score
Hi i have several axolotl and after i fed them a batch of worms not so great looking and i had some green earthworms my axies start yo look not so great. I changed their water finally got the right food in but some of my axolotl don’t look good. Their skin turned red, some have some have some small red patches, one had a bit of white stuff on face and one is really bad has large white patches with red border on body. I change the water every 2 days now to keep them in clean water and increased their oxygen with a air stone as they try to gather around the filter. I am attaching pictures pleads help! Second picture shows the red patches and third one on face by the gill is some white suff

Attachments

• 62CACAAB-48CB-47EF-A17A-A7D3C0B6E009.jpg
    62CACAAB-48CB-47EF-A17A-A7D3C0B6E009.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 103

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
Oof.
Your one with the patch doesn't look good. Would separate and fridge immediately. Instructions for fridging are here

Unsure of what is going on with the patch. Perhaps bacterial or fungal infection. Furan 2 would not be a bad thing to start as quickly as possible. It is a broad antibacterial that can clear up most things and is safe for axolotls. I would recommend a vet for the one with a patch asap.
Gill fungus is fairly common and easily treatable with salt baths 1x or 2x daily, instructions here

What size tank are they in and what are the water parameters?

Kitan

Reaction score
Oh God. I am so sorry. That is just absolutely heart breaking.

Green nightcrawlers are dyed green for fishing and I dont know if that is toxic, while worms that didnt look so great might have been full of bacteria. From the picture, the white patch with the red around it looks like the flesh is literally being eaten away, thus the red borders :'( Their gills also dont look very good. You need to take immediate action if you have any chance of saving them. You likely need to use Indian almond leaves and fridge them, since it looks like both bacterial and fungus. You need to seperate them as well. Remember when you fridge to do 100% daily water changes.

For open wounds apparently salt baths are not a great idea, but if they arent open then salt baths may also be a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!