Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eheim 2227 and substrat for it

5zymon

Reaction score
Hello,

I have bought used eheim 2227 professionel filter for my axies. I have completly no idea how should i fill this filter with water, this is first thing :). And second is what substrate should i buy for it? Can someone help me? I thought about 3L of EHFIMECH Substrat PRO and 2 L of EHFIMECH classic for mechanical filtration. Because i can put up to 5 litres of substrate into it. Is it a good combination? Or maybe i shoud fill whole 5 litres with Substrat PRO only? Thanks in advance.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
There are three essential types of filtration Mechanical, Chemical, and Biological. You need to decide what you want this filter to do. If it is for removal of suspended particulates then multiple mechanical media (sponges) would be best. If the purpose of the filter is to remove unwanted chemicals and or smells from the water then one of the chemical removal media (charcoal, ammocarb etc) would be the best choice. Lastly if you want to provide additional surface area for colonizing bacteria to increase the effeciancy of the nitrogen cycle, ie handle a higher bioload, then some sort of substrate will be the best choice. Personally, for general use I would use all three as it is a decent size filter and the media is affordable. What size is the tank? How many Axies? what is the volume of water? Details will help tailor the answer better.

5zymon

Reaction score
Thank you for answer.

Currently they are in 60L tank, but i bought bigger one(250l) with this filter.

Tank is 250L, and probaby it will be filled with water to top. There are only two axies, one is rather big about 25cm and second is a small axie maybe 8-10 cm. But with bigger tank i will probably buy one, or maybe two axies more.

This filter doesn't have a sponge, I can buy one for pipe that takes water out of tank, it is cheap and i probably will take it. So there will be one sponge. But i am more interestet in filling it with some substrate currently because it is empty.

This would be for biological filtrationL:

substrat_pro.jpg

3 litres of it.

And this would be for mechanical filtration

ehfimech.jpg

2litres of it. It should filter mechanicaly.

What do you think ??? It is 5 litres together.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Both of those are porous materials designed to be the substrate for bacterial growth.

Within the filter, you'll also need sponges or 'pads' of media to filter out particulate matter.

Also, I wouldn't put two axolotls of that size together. The small one will probably end up being eaten by the bigger one.

5zymon

Reaction score
Hello,

Ok so i will get sponge for sucking pipe.

Why they write on the EHFIMECH that it filters mechanicaly too?? (even name "MECH" would suppose that)

This little is my second axie, becausie first one was eaten by the big axie :). Now they are separated in 60L tank and he is safe, but i wanted to unseparate them in the big tank. I thought that if they will have so many space they won't kill each other. The little one has something about 6-7 months and has about 10cm (max) only, is it normal???

If there is no other way I will put only big axie to new tank and small one will be held in the smaller one.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they would write 'mech' on the box. That confuses me as well. But as far as I know, these ceramic rings (I have them in my filter as well) are only for biological filtration. But the sponges are great for filtering out particles. I have both coarse filters (sponges with big holes) and fine filters (with small holes, like cloth more than a sponge).

What are you feeding the little one? It's strange that it'd only be that big. But if I were you, I'd leave the little one in the little tank until it gets bigger.

5zymon

Reaction score
When he was little I gave him little red worms, I am not sure what is their name in english. Now he gets small parts of chicken :) it looks like he likes it, but like i wrote he is rather small for his age :-(. I will leave the small one in the old tank than, until he gets bigger.

And what do you think about my proposal of substrate for my filter???

Zapher

Reaction score
Definitely put in a sponge or two, i would go with the EHFIMECH myself, just because i personally like those. Also it might be easier to buy some mesh bags and fill those up instead of pouring it straight into the canister. Makes it a little easier when cleaning. You may want to throw in a bag of carbon too but that is up to you.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
To clarify the sponge does not go on the intake pipe, it goes in the first stage of the filter chamber ro remove suspended particulates from the water so they do not clog the next section of the filter which can be giological or chemical depending on you tank type and need. Overall the Eheim filters are very good and I know many hobbyists that use them in lots of different ways. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1