Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

tank size

1107diamond

Reaction score
hi
after reading alot of the messages i now think my tank is well to small,i recently lost my axie.So on advice have thoughly cleansed my tank which is only 20litres and have started to cycle it.and am waiting for it to be ready to put my new axie in.is this tank far to small for just the one axie or will it be alright.i will be looking to get alot larger tank in the next few months so will the 20litre tank be good for that period of time.What size will be better for me to purchase so i can have two axies.

kapo

Reaction score
If it's less than 2ft in length, then yes it is too small for one axolotl.

You can use one of those big plastic storage bins or fish bins. They work well as temporary/permanent tanks and quarantine tanks, till you can afford a large one.

With summer just round the corner, it'd be better at this stage to go bigger and cycle it like you're doing. Having a small tank during summer you'll have a constant battle with cooling and maintaining tank temperatures which warm up faster in a small tank than in a larger one; as well as fouling pretty fast. Best to start of with a bigger tank, even if it is a big plastic storage bin!

For 2 axolotls a 3 ft long x 1ft (minimum) wide would be better. If you buy one axolotl and then find another you like a few weeks later, make sure you quarantine them separately for 30 days minimum. That's where having extra storage bins comes in handy as temporary quarantine tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!