Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many worms?

kennmax

Reaction score
Just wondering..
I decided to get organic composting worms from Bunnings and a small container with lid etc to keep them..
I am currently hand feeding whole worms to my Axi,s 2 worms a day each is this to much?
They seem to manage ok with eating them is it really necessary to chop them up? :confused:
Thanks

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kenmax,

If i remember correctly, your axies are still adolescents and have room to grow. Two good sized worms are just nice for your axies per sitting. You would have to gradually taper down the feeding frequency as your axie grows older.

From daily to alternate days and then to three times a week until finally when they are at the full grown adult stage, once or twice per week will suffice. For this, you would have to monitor and estimate when to do so as you watch your axie grow.

As long as your axie can consume the entire worm, there is no necessity to chop them up.

Cheers.

kennmax

Reaction score
Hey Rayson
Thanks for that. I dont believe i know how old they are exactly they are about 8 inches (16cm) from nose to tip how old do you think?
I found Axi poo too! I see what you mean by the exoskeleton of the meal worm there were bits all over the floor and a kinda white slick on top of the water. Still trying to find a turkey baster.. not a popular item in OZ? Cleaned up the slick with paper towel as per another forum member suggesting for someone else with a similar problem..

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kennmax,

Yes personally i don't think its a good idea to feed mealworms although other members have fed them with success. At best they are suitable only as a very occasional treat.

Their hard exoskeleton can cause impaction problems (highly indigestible) and mealworms are also high in fat. They can also bite and cause internal injury if they are not decapitated before feeding.

You can get turkey basters from woolworths, kmart, coles or bi-lo, usually at the kitchen ware section.

I think 16cm is around 6 inches. They are still adolescents/young adults, probably still below 1 year of age. If your axie is a dark coloured one, does it have white toe tips? If it is a light coloured axie, does it have dark toe tips? The toe tips indicate sexual maturity (almost like puberty). If so, i would say it is more than 5 or 6 months but less than a year old.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1