Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

worms?

mitchell101

Reaction score
I lost one of my axolotls. Both my axolotls had a sudden outburst of anchor worm. Both have around about 20 worms! Before they only had 3 on one axolotl and 2 on the other. Water conditions are good. I am not sure if the medication weakened them or if it's just because they were close to dying. They went off eating also. I tried them on different foods but they didn't eat. I don't think my last axolotl will survive. I will get axolotls again but not straight away.

Mitch.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mitch,

I am so sorry to hear of this. It would be a wise move to lay off getting new axies for now. I recommend you scrub clean your entire tank, filter etc. with saturated salt solution and let them air dry in the sun to sterilise it completely.

To be honest, i was rather surprised you were advised to obtain program (flea treatment for dogs) to treat achorworms in axies. The active ingredient in program is lufenuron. This drug is carried throughout the bloodstream when an animal is treated with program. The use is off label for axolotls and i personally have not heard of this method of treatment. I would have preferred sticking to time tested dimilin.

The cause of death is debatable, although heavy infestation of anchorworms and rapidly deteriorating condition of the axies as well as medication all play a part. Most importantly, the experience has taught us all something - the importance of quarantine and seeking appropriate treatment.

Regards

mitchell101

Reaction score
I would have used Dimilin but couldn't get a hold of it anywhere, i tried for nearly 3 weeks with different places trying to get it. The doctor that suggested 'Program' to me works for i think it was Melbourne Zoo and was recommended to me by a friend that keeps discus. I am probably going to sell the tank to help pay for all these other standard size 4' tanks i am buying. I will either notify the person who buys it about the problem or if they request sterilise it myself.

Thanks. Mitch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1