Tiger worms

bex255

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Bought what I thought were earth worms, only to find they are actually tiger worms for composting. I have not seen any other threads about them so I am just curious to see if I can feed my axie these worms?

I bex, do you know I was wondering the same thing. I have a mix of tiger and smaller earth worms and have been feeding JIm both for a month now. He seems fine but maybe an experts opinion is needed here!!
MA

You can. There are some types of worm that emit a noxious liquid when cut ('red wigglers'), but my axolotls will eat even these, the pigs.

Okay, I fed one to my axie last night and she seemed pretty happy, although she did have to fight to keep it in for a while. I, on the other hand, was worried about the size. She is about 14-16 cms long (6 - 6.5 inches) and I'm not sure if I should be feeding the worms whole or cutting them up first? I'm worried if I cut them up she will be turned off by the liquids/gases that escape, but that if I don't she will choke on one. What do you suggest?

Also, can I use them as a staple diet? She refuses live blood worms and she ate a few pellets last night but then kept spitting them out after the third. If I do use only the red wigglers/tiger/compost worms, how many and how often? She is pretty chubby from eating guppies and like I said, 14-15 cms.

Axies are prolific eaters. If it didn't take her more than a minute or two to get it down, it's fine. She won't choke. If she can't ingest it, she'll regurgitate it. Unless it has spines (like catfish), she can easily spit it back out.

You can cut them up and rinse them if you're really worried about it. I wouldn't be though. Axies are eating machines.

These make a fine staple. You can try to vary things up with pellets and captive-bred or quarantined guppies, pellets, any manner of soft-bodied insects (I use waxworms, but crickets can be substituted occasionally).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back