Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sponge filter cycling

Aaran

Reaction score
I have finally got my full setup,

I want to setup one of my sponge filters into a smaller tank

does anyone know if Interpet Aquarium Filter Start No.14, 100ml: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies is safe?

I was going to use this to boost my cycle, how long would you expect it to take to actually cycle using this?

Also on a sub note, its a dual sponge filter which i have 2 of, if i use one of them and have it fully cycled, when i change to my big tank, would swapping one cycled sponge onto the other sponge filter thus having 1 cycling sponge and 1 uncycled sponge on each filter?

Theses will then be 1 at each side of the tank :)

Thanks for reading ;D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's probably not dangerous, but it's not going to help you either. It's a waste of money.

If you already have a cycled aquarium, just put the cycled sponges into the uncycled tank. Voila, instant cycle!

Aaran

Reaction score
Thanks,

i didnt really clarify on my first post,

Im going to be doing daily water changes for my lil guys, until my tank is cycled, so i was going to use that to start the cycle, its only 3 quid, so i dont really mind the price.

And also what i meant was that i will be setting up 1 sponge filter which is one of these .

Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump free shipping

so what i mean, is if i have this setup and a cycled tank, i also have a spare one, when my axies get bigger they are moving to my bigger tank, then i will be setting up both sponge filters, i was just wondering if swapped a cycled sponge onto the uncycled one, if it would help to decrease the time to cycle the other sponge?

thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Let me clarify: It's a bottle of useless liquid. It doesn't contain anything that will start your cycle. There are no live bacteria in the bottle. It's essentially a bottle that may or may not contain dead bacteria, and definitely contains a lot of ammonia. You're already getting ammonia from your axolotls, so why add more?

Bacteria grow on all the surfaces of your tank, not just on the filter. If you have a fully cycled tank, bacteria will grow on the filter quickly.

Aaran

Reaction score
Sorry kaysie, we seem to have got abit muddled up here,

I took note on your first post thus not buying the stuff.

What i meant was, if i have on one filter 2 sponges, (this filter will be cycled in the tank)

Then i have another of the same filter (this one will be brand new and uncycled)

IF i swap one sponge from the cycled onto the uncycled one, will this be okay?

sorry if i cant explain very well over typing, never really been good at it :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that'll be fine. That's one of the best ways to speed up a cycle in your tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1