Can I fill my tank all the way up?

2CLD1BC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I fill my tank all the way up? I noticed online a lot of the photos of axolotl tanks show the water only particially filled. Why is this if the axolotl doesn't utilize the "air space"?

I had purchased a trio (two females, one male) of GFPs as tiny babies and they have grown leaps and bounds in their grow-out tanks. My male died suddenly with no warning two months ago :( But my females are doing wonderful.

I am going to put them into a 20 gallon long tank, but I'd like to fill the tank up and not leave it half full. Is this OK?

I'd also like to establish enough pothos cuttings to filter the water as well. I really like the balance the tanks with natural filtration instead of the mechanical filters. I have kept my Oregon Newts like this for many years and I think they are much happier without the constant hum of a filter.

I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Rachel

Hey~
I have 55 gallon tank and I filled it up all the way.
Previously I had 20gallon tank and I put them in with water fully filled they seem to be fine.
I think it is easier to do water change with more water and if you have power filter it makes less noise and less water flow~
I have Canister Filter so it is okay, but when I had 20gallon I used power filter and the water fall makes too much noise and flow~so I filled it up and less flow and noise.

Hope this helps~:talker:

As long as they have a breathable lid on, then yes, do!

It's just that some axie's jump up from the bottom to gulp air, and sometimes do so with a little too much enthusiasm and propel themselves out the water! :rolleyes:

You can fill it up
The more water the better for water quality
I don't fill mine all the way up because I don't want to find an axolotl carpet surfing

you can fill the tank up as long as you keep the lid on (other than feeding and cleaning etc)

had been wondering about this too, surely the pleasure of watching your much loved and adored axxie etc. is then curbed if you only half fill the tank, i have not read anywhere that they live in shallow water in their natural environment, so is the only reason to half fill the tank due to no lids/hoods or is there any benefit for the axxie other than its safety?

I was curious about this too. The previous owner of my axie said that he read somewhere that you shouldn't fill the tank too much as the pressure can crush an axolotl?!? Is there any truth to this?

Edit: In our new tank we have decided on filling it to approximately 300mm high, as we've heard this is the sweet spot?:D

Last edited:
I have some juvvies <7 actually> in a 55 gal tank that is filled almost to the brim and they don't seem to be suffering from any crushing effects at all. :D Definately should put a breathable lid on it if you are going to fill the tanks that high though for safety's sake.

So if the weight of tank water overhead is enough to crush them, how on earth do they survive in the wild?! I'm pretty sure Chalco and Xomilcho are (were) deeper than 12 inches.

Yeah, that´s one ridiculous piece of non-sense. Whoever told you that was suffering from a bad case of ignorance....terminal i´d say.

Take advantage of as much volume of water as you can, as that will only make things easier. The 100% scape proof lid is an absolute must, though, don´t forget that.

I think the couple of reasons people have lower water levels is one, is to help prevent escape, and 2, axolotls are not fantastic swimmers and it just a little easier for them to get to the surface if they so choose. And even though I say this, my xoltls, when i first got them, were not great swimmers, but now they are actually quite good at it. I think it is preference. But definitely the more water the easier the care. I also have a "waterfall" filter I just use a pop bottle wrapped around the "waterfall" part and it cuts the flow and sound.

Of course you can fill your tank all the way. The more water the better for keeping the chemistry balanced in the tank. I think they become better swimmers if given the opportunity to swim about the tank. I have my 20 gallon bowfront filled all the way with the supplied hood and light, light is off 99.9% of the time. Filter, air stone, sand, and hides and my axolotl is happy. I want a 20 long or even a 40 long so he can swim even more than he does now. I find he bumps the sides while swimming.

The too much pressure is definantly not true. If you look at what was once natural habbitat for these creatures you will find the water much deeper and not as clean as we keep our tanks/tubs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back