Sexing & breed specifics help?

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Greer
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me sex my morphed axolotl, Mustang.
I don't think Charlie is big enough to determine it yet as he isn't fully grown yet & i dont have any underside pictures anyway.

I also wondered if anyone could tell me what type of 'wild' Charlie is, & what type Mustang & my big girl are, as i've read for example that Mustang is not albino because he/she has blue eyes, & i've also heard people say their axolotl is a melanoid, which i believe means they dont have the shiny pigments ? My big girl does have the shiny pigments but my other two don't. Does that mean charlie would be a melanoid wild type?

Either way, if you can help with colour specifics of them all, or the sex of charlie, please let me know, or if you have a good link to some info that would be great too. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1st Feb 2014 (7).jpg
    1st Feb 2014 (7).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 26th Jan 2014 (5).jpg
    26th Jan 2014 (5).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 26th Jan 2014 (7).jpg
    26th Jan 2014 (7).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 17th Jan 2014 (1).jpg
    17th Jan 2014 (1).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 218
Not all my photo's uploaded the first time!

Attachments

• 19th Jan 2014 (3) caudata.jpg
    19th Jan 2014 (3) caudata.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 21st Jan 2014 (5).jpg
    21st Jan 2014 (5).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 192
What did you end up calling your other axolotl?

If morphed axolotls are sexed the same way, if there are prominent bumps near their cloaca most likely it's a male. If it's flat most likely a girl but I can't tell by your photos. Mustang looks like he would've been a leucistic. If there's a gold shiny ring in his eye he is a normal leucistic. If his eyes are full on black with no shiny ring he would be a leucistic melanoid.

There's no different types of wild types. All wilds have shiny iridophores and gold rings in their eyes. They can be almost fully black, brown, green, yellowish, greyish. It only differs from a melanoid which have no shiny iridophores and fully black eyes. So you can't have a melanoid wildtype. It's either wild or melanoid. But Charlie definitely looks like a wild. His coat doesn't look too fab, what's the temperature in your tank? Maybe a tea bath is needed. Again I can't tell what Charlie is because of the lack of photos in the right angles.

As for the other nameless one - I would have no idea and after auntiejudes countless attempts I still don't know/understand!

I never decided on a name for her so she is dubbed Missy until I find something that I think "Yes! That's it!" to call her!
Sorry for the very late reply, I forgot to check back on this post
From what you've said there I would say the morph is male, & with the leucistic part, his eyes are very blue & black; not sure what that means colour wise
Charlie's coat has always concerned me, the temp the chiller is set to is 16 but it often gets up to 20 with the Aussie heat, Ice is always used then to keep it back down. My vet recently put him on some anti biotics to treat what she suggested could be a bacterial infection though it made him have quite severe body twitches so I stopped treatment. That being said his skin is looking a lot darker & to me looks a lot better than when this photo was taken, & the twitching stopped when I stopped the treatment.
I'm going to go with a goldern albino with iridophores for Missy until otherwise identified! :):) Thanks for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back