Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. Kaiseri full of eggs.

Davo

Reaction score
My female Kaiseri has been filling up with eggs and looks huge but healthy,in the past when i have bred them they have started laying quite quickly once they start to get to the huge stage.
She has been like this for 3 or 4 weeks, cloaca is volcanoe shaped and she is eating very well. She has 5 males fanning her and all looks well except no eggs.
I was thinking she might be laying in the night and the eggs were getting eaten but i have not found one egg and i would have thought if they were being eaten i would spot the odd egg that were missed.Also in the past when the have layed you can watch them laying day or night, there have been no signs of egg laying at all. Water temps are 58-60 F, the temps are dropping here so i am doing small water changes every few days with very cold water from my water butts outside.

So my question is has any of the other Kaiseri breeders had females hold onto eggs for 3 or 4 weeks without laying?
I was also thinking of putting her in a seperate aquarium i have set up with just 2 males in case the others are egg eating, i can fill it with water from the aquarium she is in at the moment and have an external filter matured and running, thoughts on this please.

Davo

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of her i have just taken.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 694
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 653
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 686

Linus

Reaction score
My oldest female looks like this ALL year round. Curious, do you offer a terrestrial period or are they aquatic all year Martin?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you should worry about it. They will lay when ready. I wouldn't say that female is particularly large, just well fed :) Mine look like that most of the year, even now at 10C, terrestrial and eating less. When aquatic I've seen female cloaca swell into the volcano shape on a seemingly random basis, it doesn't necessarily lead to egg laying.

Here's a shot just now of some of mine for comparison. I probably won't add the 2 big girls in the corner to the water until mid Jan.

Attachments

• IMG_5598.jpg
    IMG_5598.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 744

Davo

Reaction score
Thanks for responding so quickly, i feel a bit more relaxed now and will leave her where she is with the other 11.
I have let them go aquatic a bit earlier this time, i was fed up with nothing in the aquarium in the living room, it is left running all year with just a few snails and plants in until the kaiseri are ready.

After reading other Kaiseri breeders sucess keeping them aquatic all year i plan on keeping several in the aquarium all year and see how they go.

They do have a terrestrial period and have been aquatic since the end of Sept-october. The cloaca was just swelling when i introduced them to the water, as for well fed, she is a bit of a pig and is always there first at feeding time!

Nice pictures,it is always nice to see other breeders Kaiseri! :happy:

velasco13000

Reaction score
I am interested in seeing pictures of the set up when keeping them terrestrial.. I am thinking of possibly keeping some kaisers in a terrestrial set up for breeding purposes. Also would love to see pictures of everybody's kaisers for comparison purposes.. Did you see a major difference in breeding when keeping aquatic all year long vs terrestrial? And what kind of food would we provide when terrestrial.. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!