Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water Temperature Difference

Huskar

Reaction score
Hello! I have some questions about water temperature in my 40 gallon tank and right now I have a chiller cooling the tank to 61~64F and i have modded the outflow so that there is no water movement. so the problem i see is that my left side of the tank is 61F and my right side is 63F will this be stressful for the Axolotls?

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
I would think not. However you may want to insulate the back and sides of the tank to keep the temp more stable and make sure there is nothing that produces heat near the aquarium (sunlight, computers, refrigerators, etc.)

STCxB

Reaction score
My 55 gallon has probably a 1-2 F vertical temperature gradient just because my flow is so low. About 67 F up top and I'd guess 65 F at bottom. Not fact checked with a thermometer, but I can feel a small difference when I'm in up to my wrist versus up to my elbow or further. They'll move around wherever they want and avoid something if they don't like it. No worries!

ChristineB

Reaction score
Yes, keep in mind natural ponds can have a marked vertical temperature gradient. If anything, they may enjoy the choice. :)

Icyriah

Reaction score
I know for leopard geckos and reptiles need to have a warm and a cool side so they can choose :) I'm assuming it would be similar for all animals in captivity. I wouldn't worry about it too much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1