My fire salamander wont eat

joshrose123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have recently purchased a 12-month-old, female, fire salamander and she hasn't eaten now in around 5 days. I ensure if I am just overreacting or I need to change something up. Her temperature is always between 60-70 degrees (Fahrenheit), which is green on my thermometer, and she is sprayed daily. The tank is a 10-gallon tank with space for her to hide and dig.

I am currently feeding her medium brown crickets. I am trying every day but she rarely takes them and even when she does take them she will only ever eat 1 at a time.

Any advice? Thank you all.

I have two groups of two Salamandra. I normally put 8 crickets in at a time with a piece of carrot and just leave them for 3 days in each enclosure. If the crickets get hungry they can eat the carrot and will leave the salamanders alone. Sometime they eat all 8 crickets within 12 hours, sometimes I have to remove the crickets and dust them again after 3/4 days. As long as your temps are good, substrate isn't too wet maybe try this approach?

I also have read sometimes they can be picky eaters. Maybe try feeding earthworms and see if you get a better feeding response?

It can be super stressful I have had my ups and downs too. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I will try changing the food around and ensure the substrate isn't too wet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back