Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Japanese isopod

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Japanese isopod.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3,031
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 2,219
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,592

Bette

Reaction score
They are adorable! I used to keep pillbugs/armadillo bugs as pets when i was a kid, so i am partial to these critters...
Now what would you feed these to?

sde

Reaction score
Wait, is that real? It almost looks fake.....

I am not sure I would want to feed any of my amphibians these guys, they are too beautiful! I'll stick with the plain grey ones....

michael

Reaction score
You are correct Seth.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2,544

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You had me fooled! Did it come in a Kinder egg type thing? I got some years ago that had Axolotls in them.

Attachments

• axoloto1.jpg
    axoloto1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,707
  • axolotl2.jpg
    axolotl2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,292

sde

Reaction score
Good one Michael. You had me fooled there for a second...then I saw how it looked a little rubbery, and not all of it's feet were touching the ground.

You had me fooled! Did it come in a Kinder egg type thing? I got some years ago that had Axolotls in them.

Do they make newt versions of those? It'd make a cool decoration in a amphibian room...

michael

Reaction score
It came in pieces but not in an egg. I have some salamanders that came in choco eggs.

michael

Reaction score
They are adorable! I used to keep pillbugs/armadillo bugs as pets when i was a kid, so i am partial to these critters...
Now what would you feed these to?

I don't feed that kind to anything. My toy isopod sits on my cluttered desk.

I use lots of dwarf isopods for small terrestrial salamander food. I use larger isopods for larger terrestrial salamander food. I sometimes use them for aquatic salamander food. Lots of people use isopods for natural "biosubstrate" to keep terrariums clean.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do they make newt versions of those? It'd make a cool decoration in a amphibian room...[/QUOTE]

Yes, there was a C. ensicauda popei model in the same series as my Axolotls, I've seen Tylototriton and Echinotriton models from also from Japan, but they're not made any more and are quite expensive when they turn up on ebay nowadays.

Cindygao0217

Reaction score
Do they make newt versions of those? It'd make a cool decoration in a amphibian room...

Yes, there was a C. ensicauda popei model in the same series as my Axolotls, I've seen Tylototriton and Echinotriton models from also from Japan, but they're not made any more and are quite expensive when they turn up on ebay nowadays.[/QUOTE]

They around 30 to 50 dollar on ebay now

sde

Reaction score
Too bad they are expensive, those are some of my favorite species! Then I could just label my tanks by putting a model of the newt on it :rolleyes:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I'd bought more now, they were about 3 bucks each back then, plus postage from Japan which was next to nothing!

evut

Reaction score
I also own a very special isopod, this one is a giant winter warming cuddly species from Ikea. Pictured feeding on a rat (also Ikea).

Attachments

• woodlouse.jpg
    woodlouse.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,336

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like him! Ikea always have nice toys. My dog loves the stuffed Polecats they had. They don't seem to sell them any more though, so I end up scanning ebay for days to find a replacement whenever he wears one out!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1