Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding axolotl's

Caroline1380

Reaction score
I was wondering about feeding axolotl's fry. My Jack Dempsey cichlids keep breeding and it seems they have hundreds of babies at a crack, I am unable to just give them away, have tried with no luck, so I was wondering if when it happens again if I should feed the fry to my Axolotl's? Thanks in advance.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought chiclid fry would be suitable for axies, I've never even heard them mentioned before. Minnows and guppies/endlers are OK.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
They are probably okay when just barely hatched but once the jd fry get even slightly bigger they will get a little bolder and much quicker and could easily attack an axolotls' gills. I do love jds and seeing the parents lead around a little herd of fish fry :)

Valentinas Dadd

Reaction score
i would think it would be fine, I have read that they will basically eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. I am also pretty sure it would be a nice treat for them and a nice change in their diet.

Frizbee

Reaction score
I also have a breeding pair of Jack Dempseys. They are Blue Gene, so roughly 1/3rd come out electric blue. The most of the excess fry get fed off to my fish and adult axolotls, who relish the treat. My advice would be to try it but keep an eye on them. Most get gobbled right up, however those that don't could start picking at the axolotl's gills. Also since the temperature is usually a lot cooler for the Axolotls vs Dempsey's any that remain shouldn't go back into your general fry population; the temperature swings/stress can cause them to come down with Ich. If you are concerned with them surviving/hiding in the plants you can always humanely pre-kill the fry by placing them in a container of water and putting it in the freezer, then treat your axolotls to some bite size Jack Dempsicles.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Be careful about feeding cichlids, many have spikey dorsal fins, it's the reason i didn't use my convict fry as feeders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1