The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 3rd June 2005   #1
lenora

Gallery Images:
Comments:

So far I have been able to feed my eastern newts very small worms from my garden. I only have to chop the worms in half, and they go into the water still wiggling. I've noticed the newts only eat the live bits. If a worm half is not wiggling it get ignored.

That makes me a little worried about winter time. I know I'll have to get nightcrawlers then and chop them up. Will the newts wait until they are very hungry before accepting chopped worm? Are eastern newts (Nvv) especially picky about live food?

Old 3rd June 2005   #2
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If you continue to feed them worms, they will learn to eat the pieces even when they are not wiggling. N.v. are not picky about food being live, in my experience. This is assuming that the newts are aquatic.

Old 3rd June 2005   #3
lenora

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank you, that's a relief. Yes, they are fully aquatic. They have an island and lily pad but seldom use them.

Old 6th June 2005   #4
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I always buy worms right before winter, at a local worm breeder. I stuff those in a large container with soil and harvest as needed. That way I always have worms at the ready.

Old 6th June 2005   #5
lenora

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes, I suppose I will do that too. Just when I was done with live crickets I'm turning into a worm rancher. Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
chopped, moving, newts, wiggling, worms

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 19th January 2020, 05:23 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.