The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 12th May 2005   #1
Andy Baker
(andrew)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Which is better large rocks or sand? I have kinda big rocks right now but it seems like the little guys are having a hard time walking over them.... Is sand better for the little guys?

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005   #2
Zoe Naughten
(cody)

Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cody has started on the right path

Just fine gravel should be good nothn over 5mm easy to keep clean an you get a good bio filter

cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005   #3
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

no they will accidently eat that sized gravel if their food is not placed on a dish (yours is isnt it). i used to have large river rocks in my tank but it was way hard to clean. so i changed to sand, its normal coloured and makes it easier to clean up the poops

Old 12th May 2005   #4
cynthia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I vote sand, but I have never used the big river rocks.

Old 14th May 2005   #5
lisa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I had large river pebbles, it was great for a bit, but then it became impossible to suck up all the waste that fell between the rocks. So I changed to sand, any waste is sucked up with a turkey baster or by syphon, very easy.
Plus they leave little marks and footprints in the sand.

Old 14th May 2005   #6
cynthia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I love the little foot prints they leave in the sand Click the image to open in full size.

Old 21st May 2005   #7
kungfoi

Gallery Images:
Comments:

is it ok if i don't use any gravel? it's easy to clean

Old 21st May 2005   #8
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

a bare bottom's just fine. Some find this a little hard to grip, but mine were raised in bare bottom (with a few large rocks) for a long time before I put a substrate in.

Old 25th May 2005   #9
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

whats a turkey baster ?? ive heard it mentions in a couple of threads.

Old 25th May 2005   #10
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/TurkeyBasterA.JPG

Old 26th May 2005   #11
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thanks heaps. i need one of them i think. ive been using a net for most of the bigger things like plant leaves but havent been able to get the other stuff without stirring the water alot and stressing my poor axolotl. you can buy them from any aquarium or pet shop?... anywhere else?

Old 26th May 2005   #12
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The grocery store... I bought mine for $0.99, a pet store suckybulb would probably cost 4 or 5 times that, because it's "pet friendly". Waste of money. Just like decoration. PVC and legos work just fine

Old 26th May 2005   #13
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thanks ill keep that in mind when i go looking. also thank you alot joan for all the help you've given me. wow ive had my axolotl for 3 weeks now i cant believe it seems like so much longer... i still need to name it!!

Old 26th May 2005   #14
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Gizmo or Steve. Male or female. lol

Old 31st May 2005   #15
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

lol its a female. well im pretty sure. what is/are your axolotl(s) name(s) lol. did you pick it straight away?.

Old 1st June 2005   #16
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I named mine after vacuum cleaners because of the way they eat. Kirby, Hoover, and Bissel. lol.

Old 1st June 2005   #17
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

aha thats so funny. good idea, and so true how they eat. ah i just looked over to my axolotl and it let out a huge air bubble. kinda looked like it burped... is that normal? hehe. they are fascinating animals.

Old 1st June 2005   #18
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mine do it all the time. Especially after they go up for air.

Old 5th June 2005   #19
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

just about the sand. i have sand in the bottom of my tank and i think its good. i havent had rock or anything though. i was worried my axolotl was eating the sand and now that ive moved her into a plastic container until my tank is cycling properly ive noticed there is alot of sand in her....poo. lol. i always see her suck up the sand when trying to get the little bits of blood worm. is that ok for the axolotl. its alot better than them eating gravel. but would it affect them long term? alot of sand wouldjnt be too comfortable in their stomaches.

Old 5th June 2005   #20
rheann

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Shane, Try and find a safe small feeding bowl for your axolotls so that they can eat the worms from there, rather than eating the sand along with their meal. I would think the sand would be uncomfortible in their tummies, but I'm not an axolotl so i couldn't say for sure lol. just use a small plate that wont cloud or dirty the water, either glass or ceramic, metal I don't think would be good. You can also try those small terra-cotta pot water drain offs they sell in nurseries usually next to the terra-cotta pots. they look like small dishes, flat with a little bit of an edge to them, and some are pretty small and they aer very cheap, only a few cents at the most for the small ones. Most Terra-cotta these days I don't think contain any harsh minerals or chemicals, as I know that some have. I hope this helps Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
river, rocks, sand