The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 28th April 2005   #1
lisa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just wanted to ask if people use fertilisers in their planted tanks with axies?
My tank has been planted for about 2 months now, everythings going well, but the plants have slowed down a bit and I'm thinking I may need to add some fertiliser.
Anyone had any problems?

Old 28th April 2005   #2
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Do your plants have a good light source? I dont have live plants in my tank so sorry i cant help.

Old 28th April 2005   #3
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Try adding a CO2 reactor. Hagen makes a really affordable one. Most of the time, it's either light or CO2 that retards plant growth.

Old 29th April 2005   #4
lisa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This is in my 3ft tank by the way, the plants are all low light. And indeed I do have a light, just a single tube, triphosphorus (or however you spell it). On about 8 - 12 hours a day.
I've been slowly getting the axies used to the light, so it hasn't been on for the full 12 hours each day. And the plants came from a large barrel without any light or fertiliser or co2.
I think I'll let them go for another couple of weeks, see how they do.
I'd still like to know if anyone else knows if its safe to use fertiliser with axies?

Old 29th April 2005   #5
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've been using it at a low dosage (about half) for the last 2 weeks, with no ill effects. There is some concern about phosphates, which is why I've been using it at half doseage. I don't think there's anything else in most fertilizers to hurt them, unless the concentration climbs too high. Just make sure you keep an eye on the phosphate and iron levels, and they should be fine.

Old 3rd May 2005   #6
Zoe Naughten
(cody)

Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cody has started on the right path

Bunny rabbit droppings put in near the roots is what a lot of people use ive asked heaps of people abot it introducing disease but all i asked neva had a problem

cody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, plants

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd January 2020, 11:41 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.