The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 14th October 2008   #1
Joseph S
(fishkeeper)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Red wigglers toxic?

I seem to remember that EK posted a reference to red wigglers being toxic to fish? Does anyone have it or know where it is?

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Red wigglers toxic?

They are toxic to garter snakes. And the secretions from the worms are actually quite toxic to amphibian larvae. I don't recall anything about them being toxic to fish.

Old 5th November 2008   #3
Joseph S
(fishkeeper)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hello Jenn.

Thanks! Do you think though that this info means they are not good food choices for fish/amphibians?

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008   #4
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

It seems like every food choice has some kind of risk, whether it's lack of calcium, or something else. Lots of people have used red wigglers to feed fish and newts. I would say that if you have homegrown ones, you should definitely use them. If not, I'd be less enthusiastic, especially since commercial ones are often grown in manure.

Old 6th November 2008   #5
PeterJ
(peterj)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: peterj has shown reliable knowledge

My latest batch of axolotls were fed red wrigglers (home grown) as a staple from 4 weeks to 4 months old and have grown very well - my only problem is that they're chewing down a handful daily. Possibly not the best option if you're squeemish, up until a couple of weeks ago I was having to chop the worms, not very pretty. I also regularly use them for a variety of fish (though some species do refuse to eat them) and a turtle with no problems.

peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008   #6
Morg
(morg)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I am not sure about the secretions from red wrigglers being toxic, although I know they are distastefull to some amphibian species.
In the past I have used redworms as a staple diet of both the larvae of Pleorodeles and Tylototryton verrucosus with no problems at all.
Due to the taste being offputting to a lot of newt species though, I prefer to get out into my garden and dig up good old earthworms to use as food whenever possible

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red, toxic, toxic?, wigglers