The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 11th May 2009   #1
mistari

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mistari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My axolotl has white bubble looking things on his head and behind gills, fungus?

It looks like air bubbles stuck to his head and behind his head. Is he sick? He eats normally. I have noticed him flicking his gills fairly frequently though. My other axolotl doesn't have any bubbles and is normal. There is a turtle island to prevent flow and water temperature is 61-62 F

Click the image to open in full size.

I tried my best at taking some pics... !

mistari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009   #2
mistari

Nationality:
Default Re: My axolotl has white bubble looking things on his head and behind gills, fungus?

He moved so I could take some better ones... He does appear to have some sort of fungus? What do I do?

Old 11th May 2009   #3
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: My axolotl has white bubble looking things on his head and behind gills, fungus?

Hi Mistari,

I can't say definitively yes or no to fungus but it looks like a growth of some kind, fungus tends to be fluffy. In the first photos your axolotls gills are pointing forward which either means you caught it mid gill flick or it is stressed. There also seems to be alot of waste in the tank.which can lead to high ammonia levels.

Great looking axolotls though beautiful lush gills

Old 12th May 2009   #4
mistari

Nationality:

I'll try vacuuming out the poop...I did it the other day but they decided to poop all over the place again . I wonder what it is, if not a fungus? He is eating normally.

Last edited by Jacquie; 12th May 2009 at 05:03. Reason: BC? Not sure what word this was supposed to be. Please do not use 'text speak' shortcuts.
Old 12th May 2009   #5
Rayson
(Darkmaverick)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Hi Mistari,

What aeration do you use in your tank? Would you be able to zoom in/ enlarge the image or take a close up photo of the white patches? I can't see them clearly.

Cheers.

Old 12th May 2009   #6
Tina
(callina)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi,

at the last photo there could be a fungus at his left gills, but Im not sure.

A silly question: you use fine sand on the ground. Could the white patsches only be sand?

-Tina-

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009   #7
mistari

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmaverick View Post
Hi Mistari,

What aeration do you use in your tank? Would you be able to zoom in/ enlarge the image or take a close up photo of the white patches? I can't see them clearly.

Cheers.
I got as close in as I could

Tina I don't think it's sand, I thought the same thing initially..

Old 12th May 2009   #8
mistari

Nationality:

I came home today all those little bubble things were gone- LOL! phew!!! Rest easy y'all!!

Old 12th May 2009   #9
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Mistari,

thats excellent news

Old 13th May 2009   #10
Tina
(callina)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: callina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcallina is a mainstay of Caudata.org

good news!

Some months ago, I was shocked, because my melanoid looked the same way as your axie. I wanted to quarantine him and when I took him out of the water, all the white things were fallen off. Then I recognized that it only has been sand.

-Tina-

callina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009   #11
Vidofner

Nationality:
Rep: Vidofner has started on the right path

Their gills are pretty big which usually indicates low oxygen levels. How do you give them air? If you have a pump then make sure it disturbs the water... disturbed water gives oxygen to the water.
Also as someone else pointed out, their gills are bent forward which is a sign of stress. Try to figure out what causes that :)

Vidofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009   #12
mistari

Nationality:

I've been trying to figure it out. I'm thinking maybe they get too much light so I'm going to get them a cave.

Tags
axolotl, bubble, fungus, gills, head, things, white