The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Old 1st December 2010   #1
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Mudpuppy Spermatophore

Today I witnessed tail fanning and body fanning. I just thought it was aggression or territorial statements. I came back an hour later and there it was! A big 1 inch high spermatophore from base to tip. I did notice since the temps in my basement has gotten cold that mudpuppy has gotten a swollen cloaca with a slight redness. Its 47 degrees F in my basement right now. The N. maculosus in 1st two pictures is 14 inches with a decent sized head. Thats the biggest spermatophore I've ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	2005
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	13215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	13216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	13217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1692.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	13218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	1592
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	13219  

Old 1st December 2010   #2
Msteffen

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Msteffen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mudpuppy Spermatophore

That's interesting.

Was the tail fanning just like a Triturus or something? As if he is wafting pheromones?

Mike

Msteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010   #3
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

This is a post where I would have a 'liked' function. Great news, Looking forward to updates

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

It has one, Julia! I clicked it for you.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010   #5
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msteffen View Post
That's interesting.

Was the tail fanning just like a Triturus or something? As if he is wafting pheromones?

Mike
It wasn't completely like Triturus. The male stayed completely grounded and didn't stand on its legs. The behavior was more like Psuedotriton. A lot of the behavior took place under rocks which is very logical because females lay eggs on the underside of rocks. The behavior its self is pretty intense. I have a coupe big stones in the tank and the male definitely rearranged some of the heavier stones with his body movements. As far as pheromones, I'm sure he was dispersing his fair share.